READ. SCROLL. LISTEN.

Original briefings. Zero spin.

Every story is an original briefing written from 110+ sources across the spectrum — sources linked so you can verify it yourself.

← Back to headlines

Thames Water Says 10 Million Customers Could Be Under Hosepipe Ban Until Year's End

Thames Water Says 10 Million Customers Could Be Under Hosepipe Ban Until Year's End
Thames Water says its month-old hosepipe ban on 10.1 million customers likely won't lift until late 2026, blaming record heat and the driest conditions in years. The company's own £500 million desalination plant sat idle all summer for planned maintenance while demand spiked, and it won't restart until winter, after the drought has already passed.

Thames Water told Times Radio this week that the hosepipe ban covering its 10.1 million customers across London and the Thames Valley will likely stay in place until the end of 2026. That's according to Nevil Muncaster, the company's strategic water resources director, who said plainly: "I think realistically, it's going to be towards the end of the year before that comes off."

The ban started July 23 after England endured a record-breaking summer of heatwaves and historic low rainfall. More than 27 million people across England now live under some form of hosepipe restriction, according to The Independent and the Daily Mail. Wessex Water joined the list on August 18, imposing its first ban in 50 years on 1.4 million customers in Bath, Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire, its first since the drought of 1976.

Rainfall in the Thames catchment area during July came in at less than 1mm, just 2 percent of the long-term average, according to Thames Water's own figures reported by the Daily Mail and the Independent. Meanwhile customers used roughly 100 million litres more water per day than normal. Muncaster said once temperatures cross 25°C, usage jumps 25 percent. Above 30°C, which happened repeatedly this summer across five separate heatwaves, usage spikes 50 percent.

London reservoir storage sits at 74 percent, below where Thames Water says it should be for this time of year. Farmoor Reservoir in Oxfordshire is doing better at 92 percent. Rain has returned to parts of the country, but Muncaster and the Environment Agency aren't counting on it to fix things. "The Environment Agency forecast is that it will be drier than normal for the next few months, but we'll wait and see," he said.

The desalination plant that sat idle all summer

Thames Water operates the UK's only mainland desalination plant, in Beckton, east London, built at an initial cost of £270 million and now totaling roughly £500 million, according to the Guardian. It's designed to turn seawater from the Thames estuary into drinking water during exactly this kind of drought.

It sat offline through the entire summer.

Thames Water says that was planned maintenance, timed after a wet winter, on the assumption reserves would carry the company through. Muncaster defended the call: "We had a very wet winter, so we took the opportunity to do that maintenance, expecting us to be able to work through the summer."

That bet didn't pay off. Now the Guardian reports Thames Water is preparing to restart Beckton, but not until winter, well after this year's drought will have passed, aiming instead to rebuild reserves for next summer. The plant has run only five times in 15 years, producing a combined 7.2 billion litres, or about seven days' worth of London's daily demand, according to the Guardian. Chris Weston, Thames Water's chief executive, told MPs on the environment committee last year that the plant's treatment membranes were at the end of their operational life and engineers were "working very hard to try to make it work."

Maintenance has to happen sometime, and doing it after a wet winter isn't an unreasonable gamble given normal seasonal patterns. Droughts of this severity, with five heatwaves and the hottest day recorded at Kew Gardens hitting 38.1°C, aren't something every utility plans for a year in advance. But it doesn't change the fact that the one piece of infrastructure specifically built for this exact scenario wasn't available when the exact scenario happened.

The bigger financial mess

Thames Water is carrying close to £20 billion in debt, according to the Independent and Daily Mail, with creditors effectively running the company for the past two years while negotiating a bailout the government has already rejected once. Government ministers, described by the Guardian as set to decide the company's future in the coming weeks, have said they are angry that water customers were being treated as a "bottomless source of funding" after 13 companies, including Thames Water, were allowed to raise bills to fund extra projects.

Muncaster also confirmed a new reservoir planned for Abingdon, Oxfordshire won't be ready until 2040. Thames Water's customers depend on a network Muncaster himself admits is losing 569 million litres a day, an improvement from 654 million litres a decade ago, but still a staggering volume of leaked water in the middle of a declared drought.

The unresolved question is what the government decides in the coming weeks about the company's future, and whether any restructuring deal will force real investment in fixing leaks and finally making Beckton reliable, rather than leaving customers to foot bills for infrastructure that doesn't work when it's needed most.

Sources used for this briefing

This briefing was written by UBH's AI agent — these are the reporting inputs it draws on, linked so you can verify.

center-left
uk.news.yahooMore than 10 million people face hosepipe ban until end of the year, water supplier admits
center-left
HuffPost UKHosepipe Ban Might Not Be Lifted Until The End Of 2026, Says Thames Water
left
The IndependentMore than 10 million people face hosepipe ban until end of the year, water supplier admits
left
The GuardianThames Water plans to restart desalination plant – after drought has ended
right
Fox NewsIranian hackers attacked our water systems. Here are 5 things our leaders need to do now
unknown
burnhamandhighbridgeweeklynewsWessex Water announces hosepipe ban for first time in 50 years
unknown
dailymailThames Water warns hosepipe ban will stay in place until end of year