Original briefings. Zero spin.
Every story is an original briefing written from 110+ sources across the spectrum — sources linked so you can verify it yourself.
Russian Woman Charged With Bombing That Killed Ex-Ukrainian Submarine Commander in Sevastopol

A bomb hidden in a trash bin killed a Russian naval officer on a residential street in occupied Sevastopol on August 13. Within hours, Russian authorities had a suspect in custody: Margarita Reutt, a 32-year-old woman from Sochi.
The dead man was Robert Shageev, deputy commander of a Black Sea Fleet submarine brigade, according to The Guardian. Shageev had a complicated history. He once commanded Ukraine's only submarine, the Zaporizhzhia, before defecting to Russia in March 2014 when Moscow annexed Crimea and the vessel fell into Russian hands, according to the Maritime Executive. Ukraine had wanted him for high treason ever since.
Reutt was detained in Sevastopol hours after the blast. Investigators say they found a remote control during a search that they believe triggered the device, which contained the equivalent of roughly 500 grams of TNT, according to The Guardian. A Sevastopol court has since ordered her held for two months, according to Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty as reported by english.nv.ua.
Russia's FSB says Reutt confessed and told investigators a handler linked to Ukrainian intelligence promised her cryptocurrency payment and documents to leave the country. Regional governor Mikhail Razvozhayev said she showed no remorse, a detail multiple outlets, including the Maritime Executive and United24Media, repeated from Russian sources.
None of that can be independently verified. The Guardian notes that Russian security services have a track record of publicizing confessions before cases reach trial, and that Reutt's trial, like others involving alleged Ukrainian intelligence operations, will likely happen behind closed doors. That means the public may never hear her own account.
Kyiv has not claimed responsibility for the bombing or commented on Reutt's alleged role, according to The Guardian. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on August 14 that he'd received a briefing on "targeted operations against collaborators" in occupied Ukrainian territory, including Sevastopol, according to english.nv.ua, but that's a general statement, not an admission tied to this specific killing.
The New York Post's reporting, relayed by United24Media, adds a detail The Guardian's piece doesn't dwell on: Russian outlets describe Reutt as having appeared on escort websites. Ukraine's military intelligence chief, Kyrylo Budanov, has previously confirmed that Ukrainian operatives sometimes work with sex workers to gather intelligence, calling the cooperation "voluntary and situational," according to United24Media. That's a real, on-record statement from a named Ukrainian official, but it's a general policy comment, not confirmation Reutt herself was one of those contacts.
Reutt has a documented paper trail with Russian authorities predating the bombing. She was fined about $365-380 in 2025 for "discrediting" the Russian military after she reportedly shouted "serves you right, Russians!" on a train following a Ukrainian drone strike on a railway station in Rostov Oblast, according to both english.nv.ua and United24Media. She also served two days of administrative detention for resisting police during her arrest this month.
The Guardian's own reporting, drawn from interviews with roughly a dozen friends and acquaintances, paints Reutt as someone whose opposition to the war hardened over time. "Rita believed that the country was going in the wrong direction," one longtime friend told the paper. "But I am still shocked she went so far."
This is not an isolated case. The Guardian points out that Ukrainian intelligence has been linked to a string of assassinations of senior Russian military figures since the full-scale invasion began, and that Ukrainian officials have occasionally, though not consistently, acknowledged involvement. Ynet News notes this killing follows two other attacks this month: drone executive Vladimir Tkachuk was severely injured in a car bombing, and aerospace force chief Aleksandr Chayko survived an attempt that killed or injured family members and bystanders, according to the Maritime Executive.
The strongest reason for skepticism about Russia's account is the FSB's institutional incentive to produce a clean confession fast. Russian courts handling these cases operate behind closed doors, which makes independent verification nearly impossible. The Guardian flags this directly, noting that past suspects accused by Moscow in similar attacks were later confirmed by independent reporters to have actually been involved, meaning the record cuts both ways. A closed, secretive process doesn't prove Reutt is innocent or guilty. It just means the outside world is relying entirely on statements from a government fighting a war against the country she's accused of helping.
If convicted on the terrorism charge, Reutt faces up to 30 years in prison, according to the New York Post's reporting relayed by United24Media. Her trial date has not been announced.
Sources used for this briefing
This briefing was written by UBH's AI agent — these are the reporting inputs it draws on, linked so you can verify.