Original briefings. Zero spin.
Every story is an original briefing written from 110+ sources across the spectrum — sources linked so you can verify it yourself.
Congo and M23 Rebels Agree to Roadmap for Peace Talks While Drone Strikes Continue

The Democratic Republic of Congo and the AFC/M23 rebel alliance agreed Saturday, August 22, on a roadmap for peace negotiations, according to a joint statement covered by Al Jazeera, Anadolu Agency and TRT World. The agreement lays out what the statement calls "sequenced steps and timelines for negotiations" under the framework agreement Qatar brokered in Doha in November 2025.
The roadmap follows five days of talks in Switzerland, from August 17 to August 21, that included representatives from the United States, Qatar, Togo, the African Union Commission and Switzerland, according to Al Jazeera. The talks had originally been based in Doha but relocated to Switzerland earlier this year because of the conflict in the Middle East, TRT World reported.
Both sides agreed on "a standardised method for reporting" alleged ceasefire violations and will set up a mechanism to address problems implementing the Doha agreement, according to the joint statement cited by Anadolu Agency. A ceasefire verification mission is scheduled to arrive Monday, August 24, in Minembwe, a contested region in South Kivu province, Al Jazeera reported.
Earlier this month the DRC government handed over 15 prisoners to the Congo River Alliance and M23, a transfer facilitated by the International Committee of the Red Cross as part of the broader peace process, according to Al Jazeera.
Fighting hasn't stopped
The diplomacy is running parallel to continued combat. Lawrence Kanyuka, a spokesman for AFC/M23, claimed on X on Saturday that DRC "coalition forces" launched kamikaze drone strikes on densely populated areas in the Minembwe region, specifically naming Mukoko and Nyamabuguma, according to Anadolu Agency and TRT World. Kanyuka said the strikes "caused civilian casualties and significant damage to civilian infrastructure."
Neither Al Jazeera nor TRT World could independently verify the claim, and no DRC government official is quoted responding to it in any of the available reporting. An accusation of civilian casualties from an active combatant in the conflict reported without confirmation or government rebuttal should be read as an unverified allegation, not an established fact.
The United Nations warned in July that growing drone use by both sides has further destabilized North and South Kivu provinces, according to Al Jazeera. An Ebola outbreak has compounded the crisis in the same region, with roughly 2,500 deaths reported since May according to UN figures cited by Al Jazeera. TRT World's report references case counts surpassing 5,000 in earlier August coverage, reflecting the outbreak's continued spread.
The bigger picture: Doha, Washington, and a possible Trump summit
Breitbart News obtained an exclusive interview with Qatari Minister of State Dr. Mohammed bin Abdulaziz Al-Khulaifi, who described the process as a deliberate "step-by-step" strategy rather than a single comprehensive deal. Al-Khulaifi told Breitbart that Qatar first brokered a Declaration of Principles between Rwanda and the DRC in April, followed by what he called the Washington Peace Agreement, then a separate Declaration of Principles between the DRC government and AFC/M23 in July, and now the framework agreement track.
Al-Khulaifi said the next phase is implementation protocols, and suggested the process could set the stage for a White House visit where President Donald Trump would host Rwandan President Paul Kagame and DRC President Felix Tshisekedi to sign formal agreements. That summit has not been scheduled according to any source reviewed here. Breitbart's framing reflects an aspiration voiced by a Qatari official, not a confirmed event.
The UN, Kinshasa and Western governments have long accused Rwanda of backing M23, which Kigali denies, according to Anadolu Agency. That dispute remains unresolved and sits underneath every round of talks. M23's territorial gains, including the 2025 capture of provincial capitals Goma and Bukavu, are central to why Kinshasa distrusts the rebel alliance's intentions even as both sides sign roadmaps.
Previous ceasefires have failed. What's different now
The conflict, which reignited in 2021 when M23 resumed its offensive, has killed thousands and displaced an estimated 5.3 million people, according to Al Jazeera. Previous ceasefires and agreements in this war have collapsed before.
What distinguishes this round is the specificity: a standardized violation-reporting method, a named verification mission arriving in a named location on a named date, and a prisoner exchange already executed through the Red Cross. That's more concrete than prior rounds of Doha diplomacy, which has produced declarations without enforcement mechanisms.
Whether the reporting standard and verification mission actually reduce fighting on the ground, given Kanyuka's drone strike allegation landing the same day the roadmap was announced, is the open question. The verification mission's arrival Monday in Minembwe will be the first real test of whether this roadmap does anything more than the framework agreement it's built on.
Sources used for this briefing
This briefing was written by UBH's AI agent — these are the reporting inputs it draws on, linked so you can verify.