30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
WHO Raises DRC Ebola Risk to 'Very High,' 10 African Nations Now Threatened as Outbreak Spreads to New Province

The Situation Got Worse. Here's What Changed.
WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stood at a press briefing Friday, May 23, and said the DRC Ebola outbreak is "spreading rapidly."
WHO upgraded its national risk assessment from "high" to "very high" — the top tier before a declared global emergency. Regional risk remains "high." Global risk is still "low."
According to the CDC's updated situation report dated May 23, 2026, the DRC now has 746 suspected cases, 83 confirmed cases, 176 suspected deaths, and 9 confirmed deaths. Uganda has added 3 new confirmed cases — all linked to travelers from DRC — bringing that country's total to 5 confirmed cases and 1 confirmed death, according to the CDC.
The Virus Just Broke Into a Third Province
As of May 23, a new confirmed case has appeared in Sud-Kivu Province, according to the CDC. Previously, confirmed cases were locked to Ituri and Nord-Kivu. A third province means containment lines are breaking down. The outbreak is no longer a localized crisis — it's becoming a regional one.
WHO's Dr. Tedros said the epidemic is "much larger" than confirmed case counts suggest, per ABC News, indicating that surveillance is failing to capture the true scale.
An Ebola Treatment Center Was Burned Down
On May 21, protesters in Ituri set fire to an Ebola treatment center, demanding the return of a victim's body, according to ABC News and CNN. Medical tents and supplies were destroyed.
WHO's DRC representative Dr. Anne Ancia, appearing via video link from the field, said the incident "significantly jeopardized" ongoing response operations. Contact tracing in Ituri — particularly in Bunia, the provincial capital — is described as "very low." North Kivu is doing better, but Ituri is effectively a black hole for tracking the virus right now.
Misinformation and Community Denial
CNN's on-the-ground reporting from Bunia and Ituri found that a significant portion of the local population still doesn't believe the disease is real.
"Ebola is a real disease. People need to stop deluding themselves," Hélène Akilimali, a cocoa seller in eastern DRC, told CNN. She wears a face mask daily. Her customers often don't.
"As we see people dying, we used to think it was a joke, but now we can see that it's real," said Élie Ilunga, a Bunia resident, per CNN.
WHO's Dr. Tedros specifically called out community trust as "critical" to the response. When people don't believe in the disease, they don't isolate. They don't cooperate with contact tracers. They attend funerals. The virus spreads.
Ten More African Countries Are Now on Watch
Africa CDC Director General Dr. Jean Kaseya said in a Saturday briefing that 10 additional countries are now considered at elevated risk, according to ABC News. The list: Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Zambia.
That's nearly a third of the African continent now in the threat radius.
Flights Halted, Supplies Running Low
Bloomberg reported that flights into affected areas have been halted and supplies are running critically short. The Wall Street Journal described hospitals and clinics as overwhelmed, calling this the third-largest Ebola outbreak on record. Doctors and hospitals simply cannot keep pace with case volume.
No supplies. No flights. Burned treatment centers. Low community trust. Armed conflict in the epicenter provinces disrupting everything. These factors compound the hospital strain.
What the U.S. Has Done
On May 18, CDC and DHS announced enhanced travel screening, entry restrictions, and public health measures specifically targeting travelers from DRC, Uganda, and South Sudan, according to the CDC. To date, no Ebola cases linked to this outbreak have been confirmed in the United States, and the CDC maintains the risk to the American public remains low.
The American healthcare worker who tested positive on May 17 remains in Germany for treatment and has reportedly expressed "cautious optimism," per ABC News. High-risk contacts have been placed in Germany and the Czech Republic.
The U.S. response has moved faster than the 2014 outbreak, but the pace of escalation remains a concern.
Coverage Overview
Most U.S. news coverage has led with case counts and the American patient. Meanwhile, outlets vary in emphasis: left-leaning coverage has focused on misinformation and community trust issues, while center-right outlets have emphasized the systemic healthcare collapse. The burned treatment facility, the third province breakthrough, and the 10-country regional threat list have received less attention than case counts would suggest.
Status Update
The outbreak continues to expand. Case numbers are growing. The geography is expanding beyond initial provinces. The DRC's treatment infrastructure has been damaged. Ten countries are now monitoring their borders. The window for containment is narrowing.
The global risk assessment remains "low," but this classification has shifted before in previous outbreaks.