AI-POWERED NEWS

30+ sources. Zero spin.

Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.

← Back to headlines

Dominion's Lawsuits Against Giuliani and Powell Are Still Unresolved Years Later

Dominion's Lawsuits Against Giuliani and Powell Are Still Unresolved Years Later
While Fox News wrote a $787.5 million check to Dominion back in April 2023, Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell haven't settled anything. Their cases have dragged on for years — and social media keeps falsely claiming Dominion already lost them.

The Cases Nobody Is Talking About

Fox News settled. That was the big headline. $787.5 million, April 18, 2023 — done.

But Dominion's lawsuits against Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell are a different story entirely. Those cases are still grinding through the courts with no resolution in sight.

Fox — the biggest target — already paid up. The two lawyers who arguably did the most to spread the false voting machine narrative are still fighting it out in federal court.

What the Sources Actually Say

According to CNN, Dominion has pending lawsuits against Giuliani, Powell, and MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell — all filed separately from the Fox case. The Fox settlement didn't touch any of those.

AP News confirmed there has been no ruling yet in the Dominion cases against Powell and Giuliani.

USA TODAY did the fact-check legwork back in May 2022 after social media posts falsely claimed Dominion had already LOST both suits. Those claims were rated FALSE. Court records showed — and still show — both cases are open and active.

The Numbers on the Table

Dominion filed a $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit against Sidney Powell in January 2021. Same month, same amount: a $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit against Rudy Giuliani.

That's $2.6 billion in combined claims — against two individuals, not corporations.

For context: Fox News, a multi-billion dollar media empire backed by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, settled for $787.5 million. Giuliani — currently disbarred and, by his own account in bankruptcy filings, financially ruined — is facing a $1.3 billion claim. The math does not work in his favor.

The Misinformation Loop

Claims that Dominion lost these cases have circulated on social media. USA TODAY debunked the same false claim in June 2021, November 2021, and again in May 2022 — the same lie appearing multiple times across months.

This pattern suggests a coordinated effort rather than organic confusion. The irony cuts deep: the whole case centers on false claims about Dominion's machines. Yet false claims about the lawsuits themselves continue to spread, claiming the company lost the very suits it brought.

What the Courts Actually Did

In August 2021, the federal district court denied motions from both Powell and Giuliani to dismiss the cases. They tried to kill these suits early. A judge said no.

A March scheduling order cited by USA TODAY set discovery and pre-trial motion deadlines extending into fall 2023. Those timelines have clearly stretched further.

What Mainstream Media Is Getting Wrong

Left-leaning outlets like CNN covered the Fox settlement extensively — and rightfully so. $787.5 million is a massive number. But coverage of the Powell and Giuliani cases has been thin by comparison.

Those cases matter. Powell and Giuliani were the primary public architects of the voting machine narrative. Fox amplified it, yes. But these two were in front of cameras and in courtrooms actively pushing the claims. If Dominion wins against them, it sets a different kind of precedent — that individual actors, not just media corporations, face real financial accountability for defamation.

Right-leaning media, meanwhile, has largely allowed the false "Dominion lost" narrative to persist unchallenged.

What This Means for Regular People

If you believed in 2021 that Dominion's machines stole the election, and you got that belief from Giuliani or Powell, you were lied to. Courts said so. Fox's own lawyers said so internally, as the discovery documents in the Fox case proved.

Now the legal system is working through what accountability looks like for the people who started it.

The process has been slow. These suits were filed in January 2021. It's been years. Courts move at their own pace, and that pace doesn't match anyone's news cycle.

But the cases are NOT dismissed. Dominion did NOT lose. And the tab — $2.6 billion in total claims — is still on the table.

Someone will eventually have to answer for it.

Sources

center usatoday Fact check: Dominion defamation lawsuits against Giuliani, Powell are ongoing
left CNN Dominion still has pending lawsuits against election deniers such as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell
left apnews No ruling yet in Dominion lawsuits against Powell and Giuliani | AP News