Original briefings. Zero spin.
Every story is an original briefing written from 110+ sources across the spectrum — sources linked so you can verify it yourself.
Mangione's Manhattan Murder Trial Pushed to December as Double Jeopardy Fight Begins

Since Luigi Mangione pleaded guilty last week to two federal stalking counts admitting he shot UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson dead on a Midtown street in December 2024, his lawyers have moved fast to shut down the second case against him. On Monday, that motion got a courtroom date and, with it, a delay.
Justice Gregory Carro adjourned Mangione's Manhattan Supreme Court murder trial, which had been scheduled to start with jury selection on September 8, according to CBS News and ABC News. The next court date is now December 10. Carro gave the Manhattan DA's office until October 9 to respond to Mangione's motion to dismiss, with the defense getting until October 30 to reply.
The motion at the center of this is straightforward. Mangione's defense, led by Karen Friedman Agnifilo, argues that trying him for second-degree murder in state court after he already pleaded guilty to federal stalking charges over the same shooting amounts to double jeopardy under New York law.
"New York law does not permit a person to be prosecuted and punished twice for the exact same crime under a statute that governs successive prosecutions," Friedman Agnifilo told reporters after Friday's federal plea hearing, according to ABC News. Outside court she put it more bluntly: "It was a single tragic event, yet he's being prosecuted twice for the same conduct," as reported by the New York Post.
The defense's case centers on one shooting, one victim, and two governments prosecuting the same act. If a defendant already admitted guilt and faces a potential life sentence federally, the question becomes what the state's case is actually adding beyond a second prosecution for the same conduct.
But New York's double jeopardy statute isn't as simple as "same event, one prosecution." Jessica Levinson, a Loyola Law School professor and CBS News contributor, laid out the actual legal fight: the law bars successive prosecution for the same course of conduct and same acts, but there's a carve-out when the elements of the crimes are substantially different.
"The defense is going to argue that the federal stalking charges and the state murder charges are based on the same set of conduct and the same set of facts," Levinson said, according to CBS News. "The prosecution is going to say, 'But wait, there's a carve-out in state law.'"
Federal stalking resulting in death and New York second-degree murder are legally distinct crimes with different elements, even if they arise from the same act of pulling a trigger. Legal analyst Rich Schoenstein called it "a live legal argument," telling CBS News he's watching closely to see how Carro rules.
The Manhattan DA's office isn't rolling over. "While federal sentencing is pending, we are prepared to litigate the defense motions. The Manhattan DA's Office remains committed to seeking justice for Mr. Thompson and his family," a spokesperson said in a statement after the federal plea, cited by the Post.
Part of the DA's strategy appears tied to timing. Mangione is scheduled to be sentenced in federal court on December 18, eight days after his next state court date. Prosecutors have signaled they want to see how harsh that federal sentence actually is before deciding how hard to push the state case.
Mangione's underlying federal admission is not in dispute. "On the morning of Dec. 4, 2024, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan, and he died," he told the court last week, according to the Post. He also said, per ABC News, "I knew what I was doing was illegal." Prosecutors have said they'll seek life imprisonment in the federal case.
The state charges Mangione still faces, pending Carro's ruling, include second-degree murder, criminal possession of a forged instrument, and multiple weapons counts across several degrees. Those charges cover ground the federal stalking counts don't directly touch, including the forged identification Mangione allegedly used and the weapon itself. Whether that's enough to survive a double jeopardy challenge is now squarely Carro's call.
New York's top state court, the Court of Appeals, hasn't weighed in on how this carve-out applies to a case with this exact fact pattern: a guilty plea to a federal crime followed by a live state indictment for the same underlying killing. That means Carro's ruling in October or later could set precedent well beyond this one case.
For now, nothing about Mangione's guilt is contested. What's contested is whether New York gets to try him at all. The next real movement comes October 9, when Manhattan prosecutors file their formal opposition to the dismissal motion.
Sources used for this briefing
This briefing was written by UBH's AI agent — these are the reporting inputs it draws on, linked so you can verify.