READ. SCROLL. LISTEN.

Original briefings. Zero spin.

Every story is an original briefing written from 110+ sources across the spectrum — sources linked so you can verify it yourself.

← Back to headlines

Declassified Emails Show NSA Leadership Blocked China Election Interference Reports From Reaching Trump

Declassified Emails Show NSA Leadership Blocked China Election Interference Reports From Reaching Trump
The White House Government Transparency Task Force released internal NSA emails from March 2020 showing a deputy director blocked a report on Chinese interference in the 2016 and 2020 elections, citing fear the agency would be branded part of the deep state. Analysts had pushed for 16 months to get the report published. The documents raise real accountability questions, but they are internal emails, not a criminal finding, and key names remain redacted.

Four pages of internal NSA emails, all dated March 13, 2020, show agency leadership deliberately blocked a report on Chinese Communist Party interference in U.S. elections from reaching President Donald Trump, Congress, and even some intelligence leaders. The White House Government Transparency Task Force released the documents on Aug. 18, 2026.

The emails describe a report tracking foreign efforts to target the 2016 and 2020 presidential elections, based on intelligence gathering that began in 2014. According to the Epoch Times, which obtained and first detailed the documents through reporter Travis Gillmore, NSA analysts pushed for 16 months to get the report published before it was finally blocked.

"We did not know why we were here, trying to defend the election and identify threats to it, if we were unable to actually report what those threats were because of issues like this," one unidentified NSA employee wrote, according to the released emails.

Analysts first proposed releasing the material in 2018. Officers were told in February 2020 that the report had been approved and analysts prioritized delivering it. Then the NSA's deputy director stepped in and blocked release, the documents show. George Barnes served as NSA deputy director from 2017 to 2023.

According to the emails, Barnes worried that releasing information primarily relevant to the 2016 election more than a year after the fact would look political, especially with an acting Director of National Intelligence at the time who had been tasked with what Barnes reportedly called cleaning house in the intelligence community. One analyst wrote that they "lacked the courage to point out" that the delay was caused by inaction from people in the room, not by the analysts who processed the intelligence.

The most striking justification, highlighted by RedState's Kyle Becker, is that Barnes reportedly wanted to protect the NSA's separation from the CIA, FBI, and ODNI, which he believed had been "tarred as hosting or being part of the 'deep state.'" Becker's piece calls this ironic: an agency withholding evidence of foreign election interference specifically to avoid being seen as part of the very apparatus critics accuse of suppressing information. Barnes reportedly told colleagues he wanted NSA to remain "nonpartisan, objective, speaking truth to power" and feared publishing the report would "destroy that trust."

Some material was also withheld because it would have been impossible to protect the identities of members of Congress without special approval under what the documents call the "Gates Procedures," a mechanism established by former CIA Director Robert Gates in 1992. That's a separate, more defensible legal constraint than the political-optics reasoning attributed to Barnes, and it shouldn't be conflated with a deliberate coverup.

A task force is now working through the underlying files to determine why the CCP interference evidence never reached Trump, Congress, or intelligence leaders including John Ratcliffe, who was Director of National Intelligence in 2020 and now serves as CIA director. A senior White House official told reporters the task force expects to release a fuller body of evidence in the coming months covering intelligence gathered between 2019 and 2021-22, and said five foreign nations were found capable of hacking U.S. election machines.

Separately, a July 16, 2026 declassification push produced additional documents alleging a broader Chinese effort, including claims that China accessed or stole roughly 220 million voter records and imported 20,000 fake driver's licenses tied to 2020 voter registration efforts, according to statements distributed through Standard Newswire and Christian Newswire. Those claims were promoted by Garland Favorito of VoterGA, an election-integrity nonprofit, who called on Trump to declare a national emergency over election security. Those specific figures come from an advocacy press release, not directly from the declassified NSA emails detailed by the Epoch Times, and have not been independently verified by any of the news outlets covering the underlying document release. That distinction matters: the NSA emails document an internal decision to suppress a report, while the voter-record and fake-license claims are separate allegations attributed to a nonpartisan advocacy group's reading of the broader document set.

Defenders of the original 2020 decision, as recorded in the emails themselves, argue the delay was driven by legitimate legal hurdles protecting congressional identities and a genuine concern that releasing an election-related report so close to the 2020 cycle would look like the agency was putting a thumb on the scale, not political cover for China. That's a real institutional tension intelligence agencies face after every election: report too early and risk accusations of interference, report too late and risk accusations of a coverup. The emails show NSA staff wrestling with exactly that tradeoff, not admitting to a coordinated plot.

What's not in dispute, based on the documents themselves, is that analysts who wanted the material public were overruled by leadership for reasons tied to institutional reputation rather than classification necessity. No criminal charges, indictments, or referrals have been announced against Barnes or anyone else named in the emails. The task force review is ongoing, and further material is expected to be reviewed and potentially released as officials work to determine exactly who made the final call to keep Trump and Congress in the dark.

Sources used for this briefing

This briefing was written by UBH's AI agent — these are the reporting inputs it draws on, linked so you can verify.

right
RedStateDefine Irony: NSA Held Back China Election Intel to Avoid Being Branded Part of the 'Deep State'
right
ZeroHedgeNSA Blocked Reports Of China Interference In US Elections From Reaching Trump: Declassified Docs
right
Epoch TimesNSA Blocked Reports of CCP Interference in US Elections From Reaching Trump: Declassified Docs
unknown
standardnewswireNSA Admits Withholding China Election Intrusion from President
unknown
christiannewswireNSA Admits Withholding China Election Intrusion from President
unknown
ntdNSA Blocked Reports of CCP Interference in US Elections From Reaching Trump: Declassified Docs
unknown
Ground NewsNews about US Elections