30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
WHO Fires Back at Rubio, Stafford Arrives in Germany Stable — Here's What the Numbers Actually Show

Where Things Stand Right Now
Peter Stafford, the 39-year-old American surgeon who tested positive for Ebola on Sunday, has arrived in Germany and is in stable condition. That's the word from CDC incident response manager Satish Pillai at a Wednesday press briefing.
His wife Rebekah — also a doctor, currently asymptomatic — and their four children have been flown to Germany as well. A second American doctor, Patrick LaRochelle, who worked with the same Christian missionary group called Serge and was also exposed in the DRC, is being transferred to Prague for monitoring. He has shown no symptoms.
LaRochelle's wife and children, who were with him in the DRC, were cleared by the CDC as unexposed and flown back to the United States, according to Ars Technica.
The Outbreak Is Accelerating Fast
The numbers are ugly and moving fast. When the Bundibugyo strain outbreak was first confirmed on Friday, there were 246 suspected cases and 65 deaths. By Wednesday, the WHO was reporting 528 suspected cases and 132 deaths — those numbers doubled in under a week.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a Geneva press conference Wednesday that 51 cases have been confirmed in DRC's eastern Ituri and North Kivu provinces, with Uganda reporting two confirmed cases in the capital Kampala, including one death. He said: "We know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger."
On Sunday, Tedros declared the situation a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC) — the second-highest alarm level under international health law. But on Wednesday, the WHO's emergency committee drew a critical line: this does NOT yet meet the threshold for a pandemic emergency. Committee chair Lucille Blumberg from South Africa said the current criteria for that higher level have not been met, according to CBS News.
WHO investigators believe the virus was circulating for roughly two months before being detected, according to technical officer Anais Legand.
Rubio Swings at WHO. WHO Swings Back.
On Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters the WHO was "a little late to identify this thing, unfortunately," per The Guardian.
Wednesday, Tedros fired back — directly and by name. The WHO chief disputed that characterization, pointing out that the organization has been operating with slashed resources in an active conflict zone with serious security challenges.
Rubio's criticism comes amid broader political tensions. The U.S. withdrew from the WHO under Trump at the start of his second term. That exit cost the WHO nearly a quarter of its entire workforce — roughly 2,000 of 9,400 positions — according to The Guardian.
Johns Hopkins immunologist and professor Gigi Gronvall told The Guardian: "Blaming the WHO is misplaced, because they are operating with limited resources in a difficult setting with many security challenges."
The $13 Million Question
The U.S. has committed $13 million in assistance for this outbreak — this after sweeping foreign aid cuts gutted global health infrastructure. Rubio says the administration wants to open roughly 50 clinics in the DRC to treat Ebola cases, acknowledging the area is "hard-to-get-to" in a "war-torn country."
Thirteen million dollars and a promise of 50 clinics. For context, the U.S. previously spent hundreds of millions combating West Africa's 2014-2016 Ebola crisis, which killed over 11,000 people.
Coverage and Contradictions
Left-leaning outlets are using this story primarily as a cudgel against the Trump administration's retreat from global health funding. Right-leaning coverage has largely ignored the story or amplified Rubio's WHO criticism without interrogating it. The administration reportedly resisted letting an infected American citizen return to U.S. soil for treatment, per multiple sources cited by The Washington Post and confirmed independently by Ars Technica. White House spokesman Kush Desai denied this flatly, calling the Post report "absolutely false." Five people close to the response say otherwise.
Neither side is asking whether U.S. public health infrastructure, downsized through recent cuts, is prepared to handle even a small number of Ebola cases if the situation escalates.
Current Risk Assessment
Global risk is assessed as low by the WHO. The Bundibugyo strain is less lethal than Zaire Ebola, and it doesn't spread through the air — you need direct contact with bodily fluids.
But the outbreak has already reached urban areas. Two cases confirmed in Uganda's capital Kampala. An American infected. A second American exposed. The virus was spreading undetected for two months before anyone raised an alarm.
Early treatment is critical for Ebola. It turns deadly in days. Peter Stafford survived the trip to Germany. The next American facing evacuation might not be so lucky.