30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
WHO Declared Emergency Two Days After Outbreak Was 'Discovered' — But Ebola Had Already Been Killing People for Three Weeks

The Outbreak Started April 24. Officials Said Nothing Until May 15.
According to the WHO, the first known case was a health worker in Bunia, DRC, who developed fever, hemorrhaging, vomiting, and intense malaise on April 24. That person died. It then took three more weeks before public health officials officially declared Ebola was spreading — on May 15.
By the time the WHO declared an international public health emergency on May 17, the toll was already substantial: more than 200 infected, more than 80 dead, according to NPR. Two days. That's how fast they went from "new outbreak" to "global emergency."
As Boghuma Titanji, an infectious disease physician at Emory University, told NPR: "My immediate impression was that this is an extraordinarily large number of deaths and suspected cases that was being reported in what was supposed to be a new outbreak."
Her instinct was right. This wasn't new. It had been burning for weeks.
Why Did Tests Completely Miss It?
The strain responsible for this outbreak is the Bundibugyo species of Ebola — a rare variant not seen in over a decade. According to BBC reporting by health correspondent James Gallagher, standard blood tests for Ebola were coming back negative because they test for the more common Zaire species, NOT Bundibugyo.
Doctors were running Ebola tests. The tests said "no Ebola." People kept dying.
There is NO approved vaccine for Bundibugyo. The two previous outbreaks caused by this strain killed roughly a third of those infected. Experimental vaccines exist, but nothing approved and ready to deploy at scale.
According to Reuters, flawed testing combined with traditional funeral practices — where mourners have direct physical contact with the deceased — allowed the virus to spread undetected through communities. Ebola spreads through contact with infected bodily fluids. Funerals became transmission events that went unrecognized.
Where the Numbers Stand Now
According to Jean Kaseya, head of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, as cited by BBC: at least 100 dead, more than 390 suspected cases in DRC.
Uganda has two confirmed cases and one confirmed death, according to the U.S. CDC.
Six Americans have been exposed to the virus during the outbreak, according to CBS News sources cited by BBC. One — an American doctor working with a Christian missionary organization — has a confirmed case and is being evacuated to Germany for treatment, not the U.S. The CDC confirmed it is supporting "the safe withdrawal of a small number of Americans who are directly affected" but declined to give a specific number.
The U.S. Response: Travel Restrictions, 30 Days
The Trump administration has invoked a 30-day travel restriction on entry from Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan, according to the New York Times. The order does NOT apply to American citizens or U.S. service members.
Restricting travel from active outbreak zones during an international emergency is standard containment protocol.
A broader question raised by NPR: Has U.S. withdrawal from the WHO hampered early response?
Jeremy Konyndyk, president of Refugees International and former USAID disaster response director, told NPR bluntly: "This outbreak has a lot of momentum." The implication is that early detection systems which the U.S. traditionally helped fund and staff were not functioning at full capacity.
Whether you support U.S. withdrawal from the WHO or not, the practical effect on outbreak surveillance in Central Africa is a factual matter. The New York Times reported that surveillance and testing failed to identify this rare Ebola species for weeks. Those are systems that U.S. funding and personnel historically supported.
The Structural Problem
Most outlets are leading with the American doctor angle — understandable, but it pulls focus from the detection failure that allowed 100+ deaths before anyone raised an alarm.
The outbreak went undetected for three weeks due to flawed testing protocols, an unvaccinated population, a conflict zone that made access nearly impossible, and funeral traditions that turned every death into a potential superspreader event.
The American doctor is one person being evacuated with world-class care. The people in Bunia and surrounding communities have ZERO approved vaccines and are being asked to change centuries-old burial traditions on short notice during an active conflict.
Largely absent from coverage: what happens if this reaches a major urban center. Goma — a city of over a million people — is in the region. Kyeshero Hospital in Goma has already implemented screening measures according to AFP photos cited by BBC. If containment fails in a dense urban environment, these numbers accelerate rapidly.
What This Means for Americans
The immediate risk to Americans is low. The travel restrictions are in place. The evacuated doctor is receiving care abroad.
The structural reality: a three-week head start is what a deadly outbreak needs. Flawed diagnostic tools, underfunded surveillance systems, and delayed official acknowledgment cost lives — 100 confirmed ones and counting.