AI-POWERED NEWS

30+ sources. Zero spin.

Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.

← Back to headlines

Tillis Escalates Hegseth Attack: 'Amateur Hour at Best, Deadly at Worst' as Donahue Replacement Confirmed

Tillis Escalates Hegseth Attack: 'Amateur Hour at Best, Deadly at Worst' as Donahue Replacement Confirmed
Sen. Thom Tillis dropped his sharpest language yet on Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth Saturday, calling the plan to replace four-star Gen. Christopher Donahue with a three-star officer 'amateur hour at best and deadly at worst.' This is an escalation beyond Tillis's earlier 'impulsive' criticism — he's now naming Hegseth's staff directly as 'henchmen' unqualified to lead. The Pentagon has said nothing.

What's New

Our previous coverage flagged Tillis calling Hegseth's Pentagon moves 'impulsive.' That was mild compared to what he posted Saturday.

Tillis called Hegseth's reported plan to replace Gen. Christopher Donahue with a lower-ranking three-star officer 'amateur hour at best and deadly at worst.' Those are not throwaway words from a sitting senator in the president's own party.

He also went after Hegseth's inner circle directly — calling them 'political henchmen' and 'mediocre yes-men' — and said they are 'not qualified to carry Donahue's bag.'

The senator isn't just questioning judgment anymore. He's questioning the people making the decisions.

What NOTUS Reported — And What It Means

The original reporting that triggered Tillis's statement came from NOTUS, which cited five people familiar with the plan. According to NOTUS, the Pentagon intends to downgrade U.S. Army Europe-Africa Command from a four-star to a three-star command.

That would mean Donahue — the last U.S. servicemember to leave Afghanistan in August 2021 — gets pushed out or demoted in rank. Donahue currently holds four stars.

Jim Townsend, former deputy assistant secretary of defense for Europe and NATO policy, told NOTUS this move goes 'against the grain' for European allies who are watching Russia's military posture every single day.

The Pentagon has NOT confirmed the plan. It has NOT responded to multiple press inquiries, according to both NOTUS and The Daily Beast.

Silence is a response. A bad one.

The Larger Pattern Tillis Is Calling Out

This doesn't exist in a vacuum. Last month, Hegseth fired Army Chief of Staff Gen. Randy George — the Army's top uniformed officer — along with two other generals. According to The Hill, that firing was the breaking point for several Republican senators, one of whom told The Hill anonymously that leadership concerns 'really came to a tipping point when Gen. George was dismissed.'

Now Donahue is reportedly next.

Hegseth also announced earlier this month that 5,000 U.S. troops would be withdrawn from Germany. Multiple GOP senators called that decision 'very concerning' and said it was 'sending the wrong signal to Vladimir Putin,' according to The Daily Beast.

Troops pulled from Germany, Poland deployments halted, a four-star European command getting stripped to three stars, and the Army's best warfighters being shown the door. A pattern.

What's Being Overlooked

Downgrading Army Europe-Africa Command isn't just a personnel reshuffle. It reverses a deliberate decision made during Trump's first term to merge and elevate those commands. Walking that back now, while Russia is actively hostile and NATO allies are on edge, requires a serious strategic rationale.

No one has offered one. NOT Hegseth. NOT the Pentagon. NOT the White House.

Trump himself responded to Tillis's earlier criticism by incorrectly claiming Tillis is 'no longer a senator,' according to The Daily Beast. Tillis's term runs through January 2027. That's a factual error from the president about a sitting member of his own party — and it barely registered in coverage.

Tillis's Position Matters — And Doesn't

Tillis is a lame duck. He announced he won't seek re-election, which means he has zero political incentive to pull punches. He's already said he plans to 'speak without filter' in his final months.

That makes his criticism more credible on the facts — he's not positioning for a primary or protecting a Senate seat. But it also limits his leverage. He can talk. He can't stop much.

Whether senators with something to lose — the ones speaking anonymously to The Hill — eventually put their names on their concerns remains to be seen. So far, Joni Ernst has also raised alarms publicly. Most others have stayed quiet.

What Comes Next

Hegseth is stripping command authority from the generals with the most real-world experience, pulling forces back from Europe at exactly the wrong moment, and replacing expertise with loyalty. Sen. Tillis is calling it 'deadly.' A former deputy assistant secretary of defense says it goes 'against the grain' of NATO commitments.

The Pentagon's response to all of this? Crickets.

At some point, silence stops being a PR strategy and starts being confirmation.

Sources

center The Hill GOP senator blasts Hegseth for ‘careless decision’ on troop posture
unknown ms.now Tillis slams Hegseth for “impulsive decisions not grounded in reality”
unknown thedailybeast GOP Senator Exposes Pentagon Pete’s ‘Amateur Hour’ Scheme
unknown newswall Pentagon Faces GOP Backlash Over Defense Leadership