AI-POWERED NEWS

30+ sources. Zero spin.

Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.

← Back to headlines

Three Red Cross Workers Dead, Congo Soccer Team Quarantined in Belgium, and U.S. Reroutes All Flights — Ebola Outbreak Escalates Fast

Three Red Cross Workers Dead, Congo Soccer Team Quarantined in Belgium, and U.S. Reroutes All Flights — Ebola Outbreak Escalates Fast
The DR Congo Ebola outbreak has crossed 800 suspected cases and 180+ deaths, with three Red Cross volunteers now confirmed dead after unknowingly handling infected bodies. The U.S. has rerouted all returning travelers through three designated airports, and the White House told Congo's World Cup soccer team they must isolate 21 days in Belgium or stay home.

The Numbers Got Worse

When we last reported, this outbreak stood at 170+ suspected deaths and 750 suspected cases. Those numbers have already climbed.

As of the latest WHO data cited by NPR, the outbreak has hit 800 suspected cases and more than 180 suspected deaths. The WHO declared a public health emergency of international concern on May 17. On Friday, the WHO raised DR Congo's internal risk level from "high" to "very high" — and flagged the broader African region as "high" risk, according to BBC News.

The global risk is still rated "low" by WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, a designation that conflicts with the organization's own regional assessments.

Three Red Cross Volunteers Died Before Anyone Knew There Was an Outbreak

According to BBC News, three Red Cross volunteers — Alikana Udumusi Augustin, Sezabo Katanabo, and Ajiko Chandiru Viviane — died between May 5 and May 16 after contracting Ebola while handling dead bodies on March 27. That was before the outbreak had even been identified.

They were working in Mongbwalu, the town now considered the epicenter, on a project completely unrelated to Ebola response. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies confirmed the deaths and said the volunteers acted "with courage and humanity."

The volunteers died doing community work without knowing they were entering an active Ebola zone.

U.S. Response: Three Airports, Hard Routing Rules

Effective immediately, according to NPR, all American citizens and permanent residents who have passed through Uganda, South Sudan, or the Democratic Republic of Congo in the last 21 days must fly directly into one of three designated U.S. airports:

  • Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) — Virginia
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport — Georgia
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport — Houston, Texas

NPR reporter Michal Ruprecht — a medical student who had been in Uganda for a month — found out about the policy at 2 a.m. at Entebbe International Airport when a gate agent showed him a memo from U.S. Customs and Border Protection. He had been planning to fly home to Michigan. He ended up rerouted to Dulles.

Congo's World Cup Team: Isolate in Belgium or Don't Come

The White House has told DR Congo's national soccer team — currently in Belgium — that they must complete a 21-day isolation period before they will be permitted to enter the United States for the FIFA World Cup, according to both the New York Times and Fox News.

Houston is a World Cup host city. Congo's team needs to get there. The math on 21 days of isolation in Belgium is brutal for their preparation schedule.

Congo officials have pushed back on U.S. travel restrictions broadly, with Congolese health officials calling them an overreaction that damages their economy and reputation without meaningfully stopping viral spread. They point out that residents of Kinshasa are still packing markets, bars, and public transit with zero apparent concern.

The economic argument carries weight. As a case for loosening screening protocols on people entering the United States, it does not.

The Coverage Gap

Left-leaning outlets like the New York Times have given significant real estate to Congolese officials complaining about the U.S. travel ban. That's a legitimate story. But framing the restrictions as primarily a political or optics problem — rather than a public health precaution — is editorial choice.

Fox News, meanwhile, is covering the soccer team angle almost exclusively as a sports story, largely missing the Red Cross deaths and the severity of the WHO risk upgrade.

The real story: this is a Bundibugyo strain of Ebola — a rare variant with NO proven vaccine and a roughly 33% kill rate, according to BBC News. The tools that worked against the 2014-2016 West Africa outbreak (which used a different strain) may NOT apply here.

What This Means for You

If you're a traveler with plans touching Uganda, South Sudan, or DRC in the next month, your itinerary has changed. Build 21 days of buffer into any return plans.

If you're flying into Dulles, Atlanta, or Houston, expect enhanced screening. Thermal cameras and health declarations are part of the process.

With 180 deaths and 800 cases in a region with weak health infrastructure and no vaccine, the global risk picture could shift quickly. The time to take this seriously is before it becomes undeniable.

Sources

center-left NPR U.S. passengers flying from Ebola-affected countries rerouted
left BBC Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
left NYT U.S. Ebola Travel Ban Faces Criticism From Congo Health Officials
left NYT White House Tells Congo’s Soccer Team to Isolate, Citing Ebola Outbreak
right Fox News Congo team must isolate to enter United States for World Cup amid Ebola outbreak