30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
San Diego Mosque Shooters Named: Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18 — Hate Speech Found on Weapons, Suicide Note Referenced Racial Pride

The Suspects Are Named
Law enforcement has now officially identified the two shooters: Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, according to NBC News and confirmed by a law enforcement source cited by CNN.
Earlier in the day, police had given slightly wrong ages — saying 17 and 19. The corrected figures are 17 and 18.
Both died of self-inflicted gunshot wounds in a vehicle blocks from the Islamic Center of San Diego. No officer fired a single shot during the entire incident.
What Was Found in That Car
CNN, citing law enforcement officials, reported that hate speech was scrawled directly on one of the weapons recovered from the suspects' vehicle. A suicide note found with the suspects contained writings about racial pride, according to the same officials.
Police had previously said the hate crime designation was based partly on "possible anti-Islamic writings." The hate speech was found on a weapon and in a suicide note — concrete evidence of premeditation.
The 9:42 AM Phone Call That Didn't Stop It
At 9:42 AM on May 18, Clark's mother called San Diego Police to report her son missing. She told officers he had taken her car, left with a friend, and — critically — taken three firearms. She said he was suicidal, according to SDPD Chief Scott Wahl.
Officers were actively searching for Clark and Vazquez when shots were reported at the Islamic Center at 11:43 AM. Two hours passed between that phone call and the shooting.
Police responded to the mosque in four minutes. The suspects were found dead shortly after.
Wahl said officers were literally nearby, still talking to the mother and working through locations she thought her son might be, when the call came in from the mosque. Those officers immediately diverted themselves.
A key question for law enforcement: Was there any point in that two-hour window where police could have located them first?
Who Clark Was
NBC News reported that Clark attended a virtual academy — the San Diego Unified School District's iHigh Virtual Academy — and was on track to graduate this month. He never attended in-person classes at Madison High School, though he lived in its zone. He did wrestle there during the 2024–25 season, according to district spokesperson James Canning.
Vazquez's background has not been detailed in available reporting as of this update.
Three Victims, All Male Staff — One a Father of Eight
All three victims killed were adult male staff members at the center, San Diego Democratic Mayor Todd Gloria confirmed at an afternoon press conference. The BBC's US partner CBS reported that the security guard among them was a father of eight.
Police Chief Wahl called the guard's actions "heroic" and said he "undoubtedly saved lives." Authorities have NOT yet publicly released the names of the three victims as of this reporting.
What the Islamic Center's Imam Said
Director and imam Taha Hassane spoke publicly following the attack. "My community is mourning," he said, according to NBC News. "The religious intolerance and the hate that unfortunately exists in our nation" demands a response.
Hassane called on Americans to spread "the culture of tolerance, the culture of love" and reminded the public the center is open to everyone when it's running. "It's a house of worship. It's not a battlefield."
The Catholic Diocese of San Diego also issued a statement. Bishop Michael Pham called it a "senseless act of violence" and noted the Islamic Center "has been a longtime partner in our collaborative work for justice, especially in accompanying immigrants," according to CNN.
What Mainstream Coverage Is Getting Wrong
Left-leaning outlets — BBC, CNN, NYT — are covering this attentively, but several are burying the specificity of the evidence: hate speech on the actual firearm and a racial-pride suicide note deserve prominent placement, not paragraph eight.
The Daily Wire covered the identification of the suspects accurately and quoted the mayor's hate crime confirmation. But the right-leaning framing largely stops there — not much scrutiny of the two-hour gap between the mother's call and the attack.
Neither side is asking the operational question: How does a teenager leave home with three guns, steal a car, and carry out a targeted attack two hours after police are alerted? That's a process question worth examining — not to assign blame, but because the answer matters for next time.
The Two-Hour Gap
Two teenagers with weapons, written hatred, and a suicide note walked up to the largest mosque in San Diego County and killed three men. One of those men, a father of eight, died stopping the attack from being worse.
The evidence of motive is documented: hate speech on the gun, a racial-pride suicide note, a deliberate target.
Law enforcement and the public deserve a straight answer on those two hours between the mother's call and the shooting.