30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
Police Seized 26 Guns from Caleb Vazquez's Home 16 Months Before Mosque Shooting — System Still Failed

The System Saw It Coming
According to court records reported by the Associated Press and first surfaced by The New York Times, San Diego law enforcement conducted a welfare check on Caleb Vazquez and documented in writing that he was "involved in suspicious behavior idolizing nazis and mass shooters."
That was January 29, 2025. Sixteen months before the attack.
A court order was obtained under California's 2014 gun violence restraining order law — one of the most aggressive red flag statutes in the country. Twenty-six firearms were removed from the family home.
The Father's Role — Including the Part Being Downplayed
According to the affidavit signed by Marco Vazquez, the father, he initially denied police entry when they came to verify how weapons were being stored, according to KKTV's reporting.
The family had already moved the guns to an outside storage facility — voluntarily, days before the court order. But the initial refusal to let police in is part of the record.
The court filings also reference unspecified "serious allegations" against Caleb, and confirm he underwent at least one involuntary psychiatric hospitalization. The filings don't say what triggered the commitment.
The Family Statement
On Thursday, the Vazquez family released a statement through their attorney, Colin Rudolph.
They said Caleb was on the autism spectrum and "had grown to resent parts of his identity" — without specifying which parts. They described their family as diverse, inclusive of immigrants and Muslims. They said they tried to get him help. They said he spent time in rehabilitation centers.
Then they pointed at the internet.
"We believe this, combined with exposure to hateful rhetoric, extremist content, and propaganda spread across parts of the internet, social media, and other online platforms, contributed to his descent into radicalized ideologies and violent beliefs," the statement read.
Online radicalization is real and accelerating. But it's also not a complete answer.
What the Coverage Is Missing
Every major outlet — AP, Washington Post, San Diego Union-Tribune — is covering the "system worked" angle: red flag law triggered, guns removed, family cooperated (mostly). California's gun laws are among the strictest in the nation. The law did what it was supposed to do.
And three people are still dead.
Nobody is asking the obvious follow-up: after a court-ordered gun removal and a psychiatric hospitalization, what ongoing monitoring, if any, existed for Caleb Vazquez? Was there a case worker? A check-in system? Any mechanism to flag if the radicalization continued?
The answer, based on available reporting, appears to be: no.
Removing guns from the home didn't remove Cain Clark from the picture. Authorities confirmed Vazquez met Clark, 17, online, and both were radicalized together. Clark's mother told law enforcement that weapons were missing from her home the morning of the attack — meaning the guns used may not have even come from the Vazquez household at all.
California's red flag system may have been applied correctly and completely, and it still didn't stop this.
The Cain Clark Side of This Story
Almost nothing is known about what warning signs, if any, existed around Cain Clark.
Clark's mother noticed missing weapons the morning of May 19. That kicked off a multi-hour search before the attack occurred. What was known about Clark before that morning? Was he ever flagged? Did any school, counselor, or law enforcement contact ever document concerns about him?
Nobody is reporting that yet.
What This Means
The mainstream framing of this story is quietly becoming a case study for red flag law effectiveness — with California held up as a model. That framing is incomplete at best and misleading at worst.
A law was used. Guns were taken. A teenager was hospitalized. The family cooperated. Three people were still murdered.
The real story isn't whether the red flag law worked. It's whether the infrastructure AROUND the law — mental health follow-up, ongoing monitoring, inter-agency communication — has any teeth at all.
Right now, the evidence suggests it doesn't.
Taking someone's guns and then leaving them alone with an internet connection and a radicalization network isn't a safety system. It's a paperwork exercise.
The three victims of the Islamic Center of San Diego deserved more than paperwork.