AI-POWERED NEWS

30+ sources. Zero spin.

Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.

← Back to headlines

Pentagon Missed Its Own May 15 Deadline on $600M Ukraine Aid — Now Senators From Both Parties Are Demanding Answers

Pentagon Missed Its Own May 15 Deadline on $600M Ukraine Aid — Now Senators From Both Parties Are Demanding Answers
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told Congress the Ukraine funding was 'released' three weeks ago and promised a spending plan by May 15. The Pentagon blew that deadline. Now six senators — Republicans and Democrats — sent Hegseth a formal letter on May 22 demanding the $600 million get disbursed immediately.

The Pentagon Said It Was Done. It Wasn't.

Congress already allocated $600 million in security aid for Ukraine and three Baltic allies last year. The funds are still sitting in the Pentagon bureaucracy.

According to AP News, a bipartisan group of six senators sent a formal letter to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Friday, May 22, demanding the funds be disbursed. The breakdown: $400 million for Ukraine and $200 million for defense programs in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

Hegseth Already Said This Was Handled

At a congressional hearing over three weeks ago, Hegseth told lawmakers the Ukraine funding had been "released" and that a spending plan would be sent to Congress by May 15.

May 15 came and went. Nothing. Not a plan. Not an update. Not even an explanation for the delay.

A secretary of defense failing to deliver on a specific, self-imposed commitment to Congress is a credibility problem. The senators aren't wrong to push back.

Who Signed the Letter

The letter was bipartisan by design.

Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley and Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin led it. Also signing: Republican Sens. Kevin Cramer and Thom Tillis, plus Democratic Sens. Michael Bennet and Catherine Cortez Masto.

"Ukraine has persistently and bravely repelled a four-year Russian onslaught, but its military needs and deserves continued American support," Grassley and Durbin wrote in the letter, according to AP News.

Tillis Went Further — Called Out Trump Directly

Sen. Thom Tillis didn't stop at the letter. In a public back-and-forth with President Trump on social media Friday, Tillis blamed Trump's advisors for a list of politically damaging policies. One of them: "Firing our very best generals and not holding Putin accountable for his systematic kidnapping, rape, torture, and murder of Ukrainian civilians."

That's a Republican senator, in public, using those exact words about a sitting Republican president's posture toward Russia. It reflects growing frustration within the GOP.

The Gen. George Firing Is Still Burning

Several Republicans also reiterated their frustration over Hegseth's firing of Army Chief of Staff Gen. Randy George last month, according to AP News.

George had pushed to reconfigure Army battlefield strategy to incorporate drone warfare and modern combined-arms tactics. His removal — coming while Congress is already questioning Pentagon decision-making — has compounded the credibility problem for Hegseth on Capitol Hill.

The pattern is consistent: Pentagon leadership making major decisions without sufficient congressional consultation, then struggling to explain them.

Meanwhile, Putin Is Threatening Retaliation

The timing of this aid bottleneck matters.

According to BBC News, Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday publicly promised retaliation after accusing Ukraine of striking a student dormitory in Starobilsk, Luhansk region — territory Russia occupies. Putin said six people were killed, 39 injured, and 15 remain missing from the overnight drone strike.

Ukraine's military said it targeted the headquarters of Russia's elite Rubicon drone unit in Starobilsk — not a civilian dormitory. Ukraine did NOT confirm or deny it was the same building Russia described.

Putin told his military to prepare "proposals" on how to retaliate. Russia's state TV paraded an injured 19-year-old identified as Diana Shovkun — but showed no photos or video of those allegedly killed.

The war is still hot, and Ukraine is still fighting.

What Mainstream Coverage Is Missing

Most coverage treats this as a Ukraine-aid story. Hegseth made a specific promise to Congress — a spending plan by May 15. He missed it. Whether you support Ukraine aid or not, a cabinet secretary blowing past a self-set congressional deadline with no explanation belongs on the front page.

Also mostly absent: the Baltic states angle. Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are NATO members. The $200 million earmarked for them isn't charity — it's alliance maintenance. The senators' letter specifically warned that further delays, combined with reported U.S. troop withdrawal plans from the region, "risks our ability to adequately deter Russia."

Three NATO frontline states are watching $200 million of promised American support stall in bureaucracy while Putin threatens new military action.

What Happens Next

Congress approved this money. Hegseth said it was released. He promised a plan by May 15. The plan never came. Six senators from both parties are now publicly demanding to know why.

The Pentagon owes them — and the American taxpayer — a straight answer.

Sources

left AP News Senators from both parties push Hegseth for action on Ukraine aid
left BBC Russia's Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
left CNN Russia is 'going backwards' in equipment and deploying post WWII-era tanks, according to Western officials
left washingtonpost Senators from both parties push Hegseth for action on Ukraine aid - The Washington Post
unknown mainlinemedianews Senators from both parties push Hegseth for action on Ukraine aid
unknown usnews Senators From Both Parties Push Hegseth for Action on Ukraine Aid