30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
Oz Raises Suspended Hospice Count to 800, Administration Defers $1.3B in California Medicaid Payments

What's New Since Our Last Report
The headline figure changed. Fast.
When we last covered this story, the number stood at 470 suspended Los Angeles-area hospice providers with $1.4 billion frozen. According to Fox News and AMAC, CMS Administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz has now confirmed 800 hospice providers suspended across California — nearly double the earlier count.
The dollar figure shifted too. The administration is now formally deferring $1.3 billion in Medicaid reimbursements to California, according to CNN. That's a deferral — not an outright cut — but the distinction matters less when the state can't access the cash.
The Core Accusation, In Plain Numbers
Oz made a specific claim that deserves to stand on its own: roughly one-third of all hospice providers in the entire United States are based in Los Angeles — a metro area containing approximately 2.5% of the nation's elderly population, according to AMAC.
He went further: "We believe that at least half of the hospices in the entire area around Los Angeles are fraudulent."
Those 800 suspended providers billed $1.4 billion to federal taxpayers last year alone, according to AMAC. They will no longer be paid.
The New Nationwide Moves
The administration is treating this as a national emergency, not just a state problem.
Vice President JD Vance announced a six-month moratorium on new Medicare enrollment for all hospice and home health providers nationwide, according to the Los Angeles Times and CNN. Every single state's Medicaid Fraud Control Unit is now under federal review.
The Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General sent letters to all 50 state attorneys general. The letter to California AG Rob Bonta, which CNN reviewed directly, was blunt: "Noncompliance with your MFCU obligations can take your State's entire Medicaid program out of compliance. This means your failure to do your job as head of the MFCU has put all of your State's Medicaid funds in jeopardy."
States that fail to "effectively and aggressively prosecute" Medicaid fraud risk losing federal support for their Fraud Control Units — nearly $500 million in total across all states, per CNN.
The Minnesota Precedent Nobody's Talking About
CNN buried a critical detail that most coverage is glossing over: California is NOT the first state hit this way.
The administration already deferred more than $350 million in Medicaid reimbursements to Minnesota earlier this year, using the same mechanism. That precedent was set. California is just the bigger target with the bigger fraud numbers.
The administration has explicitly said this model will expand to other healthcare programs nationwide.
California's Defense — And Where It Falls Short
Gov. Gavin Newsom called the crackdown "purely political" back in January 2026. His talking point: California has been fighting hospice fraud for years before Oz showed up.
That's partially true. Per AMAC, California imposed a moratorium on new hospice licenses back in 2022 after state auditors flagged a lack of oversight. A Newsom administration report from March 2026 showed the California Department of Public Health revoked 280 hospice licenses over the past two years.
280 licenses revoked. 800 providers just suspended in one federal action.
Vance's counter is simple: the state's enforcement didn't stop the billing. "The Task Force is preventing fraud before taxpayer money leaves the federal government," he said on X May 13. The previous California approach was catching fraud after the fact — if at all.
The Larger Story in the Coverage
CNN and the Los Angeles Times are both framing this primarily as a political fight between the Trump administration and blue-state governors. That framing isn't wrong — but it's incomplete.
Neither outlet gives adequate weight to the core statistic: one-third of U.S. hospice providers clustered in a single metro with 2.5% of elderly Americans. That number isn't a Republican talking point. It's a data anomaly that demands explanation regardless of who's in the White House.
Fox News, meanwhile, is running the story largely as a victory lap. What Fox isn't asking: why did it take this long? These hospices billed $1.4 billion last year. Where was CMS in 2023? In 2024?
The fraud didn't start in January 2025.
The Real Impact
If you're a California senior on legitimate hospice or home health care, the six-month moratorium on new provider enrollment means your options just got narrower. Legitimate providers already enrolled aren't being shut down — but the pipeline of new ones is frozen.
If you're a taxpayer anywhere in America, the administration is now demanding states prove they're actually prosecuting fraud or lose federal support entirely. That's a structural shift — not just a press conference.
And if you're a fraudulent hospice operator in Los Angeles who somehow isn't in those 800? Oz said explicitly: the model expands. The list isn't done.