AI-POWERED NEWS

30+ sources. Zero spin.

Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.

← Back to headlines

Khamenei Orders Enriched Uranium to Stay in Iran, Blowing Up Trump's Core Deal Demand — Oil Jumps 4%

Khamenei Orders Enriched Uranium to Stay in Iran, Blowing Up Trump's Core Deal Demand — Oil Jumps 4%
Iran's Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has formally ordered that Iran's stockpile of 60%-enriched uranium will NOT leave the country — directly contradicting what Trump told Israel and publicly claimed about the deal. Oil shot up nearly 4% on the news. The gap between what Washington has been telling the public and what Tehran has actually agreed to is now impossible to ignore.

The Hard Line Nobody in Washington Wanted to Admit Was Coming

On Thursday, two senior Iranian officials told Reuters that Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has issued a formal directive: Iran's stockpile of uranium enriched to 60% — near-weapons-grade material — stays inside Iran. Full stop.

U.S. crude oil jumped nearly 4% to $101.96 per barrel by 9:15 a.m. ET Thursday, according to CNBC. International benchmark Brent crude advanced about 3% to $108.34. Markets read the Khamenei directive as a potential obstacle to negotiations.

The Contradictions at the Heart of the Talks

Trump already told the public this was settled.

In a phone interview with CBS News last month, Trump confidently said Iran had "agreed to everything" — including shipping its enriched uranium out of the country. According to ZeroHedge's reporting based on Reuters sourcing, Israeli officials say Trump personally assured Netanyahu that removal of Iran's highly enriched uranium stockpile was a done deal and would be written into any peace agreement.

Khamenei's directive proves that was either wishful thinking, deliberate spin, or flat-out wrong.

Removing that uranium is the entire strategic point of a deal from an American and Israeli security standpoint. Without it, you don't have denuclearization — you have a ceasefire that leaves Iran one technical step away from a bomb.

Trump Is Caught Between Netanyahu and Tehran

According to Axios, as reported by ZeroHedge, Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a tense phone call Thursday. Netanyahu reportedly wants a greenlight to resume military operations. Trump is still pushing for a signed document.

Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews Wednesday: "Believe me, if we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go." He also said he was willing to wait "a couple of days" to avoid further casualties. According to CNBC, Trump acknowledged he had been "an hour away" from ordering strikes on Tuesday before backing off again.

The Hill's framing cuts to the bone: Trump has joined a dance, and he's given the Iranians the lead.

Iran's Actual Position on Talks

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed Thursday that Tehran received the latest U.S. proposal and is "reviewing" it, according to Iran's state-run Nour News agency as cited by CNBC. Pakistan's Army Chief Asim Munir traveled to Tehran Thursday as part of ongoing mediation — the same framework that's been moving in circles for weeks.

Baghaei confirmed that exchanges are continuing based on Iran's original 14-point framework. Tehran has its own document, its own red lines, and is NOT in a posture of capitulation.

ZeroHedge reports that Iran's parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf stated publicly that Tehran sees signs the U.S. is trying to restart the war — suggesting deep Iranian suspicion that the ceasefire itself is a tactical trap.

Iran's IRGC Navy also reported that 26 vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz "in coordination" with Iranian authorities in a single 24-hour period — a sign Iran is trying to control the optics of the blockade without actually lifting it.

The Economic Pressure Is Real — On Both Sides

The Wall Street Journal reports that Iran is enduring the longest internet blackout in history — nearly three months — threatening millions of jobs. The regime is hurting.

But the global economy is also taking hits. The International Energy Agency's chief Fatih Birol warned Thursday that global oil stockpiles will hit a "red zone" this summer if the Strait of Hormuz doesn't reopen, according to CNBC. Around 20% of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas passed through Hormuz before the war. That route has been functionally shut since U.S. and Israeli strikes began February 28, per CNBC.

S&P 500 futures dropped 0.4% and Nasdaq futures slid 0.3% Thursday morning on the Khamenei news, according to ZeroHedge. JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon added to the pressure by warning interest rates could climb significantly higher than current levels.

What Mainstream Coverage Is Getting Wrong

Left-leaning outlets like CNBC are covering the mechanics of the talks accurately but soft-pedaling the central contradiction: Trump said the uranium shipment was agreed to. It wasn't. That's not a nuance — that's a fundamental factual failure that affects everything downstream.

Right-leaning outlets like Fox News are hitting the "Iran is stalling" angle hard — and they're NOT wrong — but some are still giving Trump a pass on overselling the deal's progress. If you told your allies a core demand was locked in and it wasn't, that's on you.

Fox's General Jack Keane made the clearest point: the proposed deal would act as a "lifeline" to the Iranian regime, not a defeat. A former White House envoy separately warned Trump that Iran's strategy is to use negotiations to buy time. The Iranians are reviewing proposals while simultaneously ordering their uranium to stay put.

What Comes Next

Khamenei's directive isn't a surprise to anyone who was watching closely. Iran has NEVER publicly agreed to ship its uranium abroad. Trump said they did. They didn't.

Now oil is at $101.96 a barrel, the Strait of Hormuz remains functionally blockaded, the IEA is warning of a summer supply crisis, and Trump faces a binary choice: accept a deal that doesn't actually remove Iran's near-weapons-grade uranium, or resume strikes.

Regular Americans are already paying for this at the pump. That number is going higher if this stalemate holds.

Sources

center The Hill Another round in Trump’s ‘forever cease-fire’
center-left Bloomberg Iran Says Its Enriched Uranium Should Not Be Sent Abroad, Reuters Reports
center-left CNBC Oil prices jump more than 3% after Iran supreme leader says uranium must remain in country
center-left CNBC Iran reviews U.S. peace proposal as Trump says he’s willing to wait 'a few days'
center-right WSJ The Longest Internet Blackout in History Is Crippling Iran’s Economy
right Fox News Former White House envoy has warning for Trump on how not to get played by Iran
right Daily Wire Iran’s Supreme Leader Responds To Trump’s Deal-Breaker
right ZeroHedge Ayatollah Orders Highly-Enriched Uranium To Remain In Iran, Stymying Trump's Basis For Deal
right ZeroHedge Futures Slump, Ignoring Korean Euphoria, After Iran Rejects Trump Enriched Uranium Demands
right ZeroHedge Tense Trump-Netanyahu Call As US Presses Iran To 'Sign The Document' - But Israel Wants Military Greenlight