AI-POWERED NEWS

30+ sources. Zero spin.

Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.

← Back to headlines

Iran Refuses to Hand Over Enriched Uranium, Calls U.S. 'Dishonest' as Pentagon Preps Renewed Strike Options

Iran Refuses to Hand Over Enriched Uranium, Calls U.S. 'Dishonest' as Pentagon Preps Renewed Strike Options
The diplomatic picture deteriorated sharply on Saturday. Iran's top negotiator publicly called the U.S. a dishonest partner, Tehran's Foreign Ministry declared no deal is possible if Washington insists on uranium handover, and CBS News reported the Pentagon is actively preparing renewed strike options within a 72-hour window. This is NOT a ceasefire holding steady — it's a ceasefire fraying at the edges.

The Uranium Wall Just Got Taller

Iran's Foreign Ministry drew a hard line Saturday on the one issue that matters most: enriched uranium.

"We will not reach a conclusion if we try to delve into details related to highly enriched uranium," IRNA, Iran's official state news agency, quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei as saying. Al Jazeera reported the same message: no deal materializes if the U.S. insists on a uranium handover.

The U.S. demand is non-negotiable on the American side too. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking from New Delhi on Saturday, was explicit: "Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. They need to give their enriched uranium. We need to address the issue of enrichment." He confirmed to reporters there was no deal yet and that "we're not there yet."

Two parties. Both saying the other's core demand is unacceptable.

Iran's Parliament Speaker Goes on Offense

Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf met Pakistani Army Chief General Asim Munir in Tehran Saturday. According to Iranian state television, Qalibaf told Munir that the U.S. "is not an honest party" in the negotiations and that Iran "will not compromise on the rights of our nation and country."

Qalibaf also warned that Iran's armed forces have "rebuilt themselves during the ceasefire" and that if Trump "foolishly restarts the war," the consequences will be "more crushing and bitter" than when the conflict began.

Pakistan Is Carrying Water. Qatar Is in the Room Too.

General Munir met not only with Qalibaf but also with President Masoud Pezeshkian and held two separate meetings with Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, according to Reuters citing Iranian state media. The talks reportedly centered on a 14-point Iranian-proposed framework that Tehran considers the baseline document for any agreement.

President Trump held a phone call with Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani early Saturday, per Bloomberg, discussing the Pakistani-led de-escalation effort. A Qatari delegation was simultaneously holding direct talks with Araqchi in Tehran, though Baghaei confirmed Pakistan remains the primary mediator.

Iraq, Oman, and Jordan are also involved in mediation efforts, according to Sky News Arabia sources. Sky News Arabia also cited a source claiming "broad outlines" on the nuclear issue had been reached. But Iran's own Foreign Ministry said in the same news cycle that an agreement is "not close."

The Pentagon Isn't Waiting on Diplomats

CBS News reported Saturday that the White House and Pentagon are actively preparing for a new potential round of military strikes against Iran within the next three days.

The reporting gains significance from a specific detail — Trump canceled plans to attend Donald Trump Jr.'s wedding in the Bahamas this weekend, citing "circumstances pertaining to Government." Senior officials have also scrapped travel plans.

Polymarket, the prediction market, has a permanent U.S.-Iran peace deal by May 26, 2026 at just 8% probability.

Market Movements

Friday's trading reflected the diplomatic uncertainty. According to UBS analyst Torsten Sippel, de-escalation hopes drove crude lower, pressured rates, and lifted equities — with rotation into small caps, housing, and transports.

The Strait of Hormuz remains closed to most shipping despite the ceasefire. Global energy markets are still dislocated. Every day the strait stays closed, the real-world economic impact compounds.

The Gap That Actually Matters

Media coverage has split the story differently. CNBC highlighted Iran's "will not compromise" language while framing the overall narrative around continued diplomatic activity. ZeroHedge emphasized Pentagon strike preparations and the hard uranium red line. The substantive issue remains unchanged: yes, diplomacy is still moving, and the military option remains active.

The core problem is straightforward. The U.S. non-negotiable is: give up the enriched uranium. Iran's non-negotiable is: we keep our enriched uranium. Pakistan, Qatar, Iraq, Oman, and Jordan cannot bridge that gap with shuttle diplomacy. Only one of those two positions can prevail in any final agreement. Neither side shows signs of yielding.

If strikes resume this weekend, the indicators point clearly in that direction.

Sources

center-left CNBC Iran's top negotiator says Tehran will not compromise in talks with U.S.
right ZeroHedge Pentagon, Intelligence Community Preparing For Renewed Strikes On Iran This Weekend: CBS
right ZeroHedge Trump Speaks With Qatar Emir As Pakistani-Led Iran Peace Push Intensifies
right ZeroHedge Iran Says 'No Deal' Will Materialize If US Insists On Enriched Uranium Handover