30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
Ed Martin Predicted Jan. 6 Payouts Months Ago — Then the GOP Pushback on the $1.776B Fund Began

The Breakfast That Predicted $1.776 Billion
Earlier this year, Ed Martin — the Trump DOJ official who ran the administration's 'weaponization' working group before being removed from that role — sat down for breakfast at the Willard InterContinental's Peacock Lounge in Washington with Republican operative and former Minnesota senator Norm Coleman.
According to two people with direct knowledge of that conversation, as reported by NBC News, Martin predicted the Justice Department would pay out millions to Jan. 6 defendants. He put the number at roughly $40 million.
The actual fund ended up being $1.776 billion. Forty-four times larger.
Coleman told NBC News the people "must have taken part of a conversation totally out of context" and declined further comment. Martin did not respond. A DOJ spokesperson said Martin "did not make these remarks" — but refused to specify which part was disputed.
What the Fund Actually Is — and Where the Money Comes From
The $1.776 billion flows from the federal Judgment Fund — a permanent Treasury appropriation that normally pays legal settlements against the government. No congressional vote required. No appropriations process. The money moves on DOJ's say-so alone.
According to Time, a five-member commission appointed by the Attorney General will oversee claims. One member gets selected in consultation with congressional leadership. Four do not. The commission can issue both monetary awards and formal apologies.
As part of the underlying deal, Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump, and the Trump Organization dropped their $10 billion IRS lawsuit over the leak of Trump's tax returns. In return: a formal apology. No direct cash to Trump personally — just this fund for everyone else.
Acting AG Todd Blanche called it "a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress," according to PBS News.
Republican Senators Aren't Buying It — At Least Not Yet
Blanche spent Thursday on Capitol Hill meeting with Senate Republicans, per The Hill.
Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) said flatly that Congress should approve the fund, not unilateral DOJ action. "People are concerned," Cassidy said, according to The Hill. He didn't call it unconstitutional. He didn't say he'd kill it. But his message was clear: this shouldn't have been done without congressional input.
Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.) — a former FBI agent — sent a letter to Blanche demanding specifics on how claims will be reviewed, who qualifies, and what standards apply. Fitzpatrick knows what a legitimate DOJ process looks like. He's asking because this raises questions.
The pushback isn't coming only from Democrats. Two Republicans with law enforcement and legal backgrounds are publicly demanding answers.
Democrats Come In Hot — But Some of It Doesn't Hold Up
Former Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) warned the DOJ against compensating "rioters," specifically flagging Jan. 6 defendants as potential recipients, according to The Hill.
Former Capitol Police Officer Harry Dunn called the fund a "retainer" for a "mob," suggesting Trump is locking in Jan. 6 defendants' loyalty ahead of the 2026 midterms, according to The Hill.
The Hill's own opinion piece declared that 1,600 "insurrectionists" are "about to get paid for insurrection." Some January 6 defendants were charged with trespassing. Some were charged with violent assault on officers. The question remains: will the fund differentiate, or will it write checks to everyone Trump pardoned regardless of what they actually did?
Blanche has not answered this publicly. And nobody in the Thursday Senate meetings is saying he answered it privately either.
Lindell Is Already in Line
MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell announced Wednesday he will file a claim with the fund, according to The Hill. Lindell's phone was seized by the FBI in 2022 as part of an investigation related to the 2020 election.
Lindell may have a legitimate grievance about government overreach. He may not. But the fact that he's the first public name to announce a claim signals what kind of fund this is and who's watching.
What Mainstream Coverage Is Getting Wrong
Left-leaning outlets are framing this entirely as a Jan. 6 payout scheme. The fund is broader — it's designed for anyone who claims DOJ targeting under Biden, including Russia investigation subjects, Mar-a-Lago search targets, and others.
Right-leaning outlets are largely ignoring the Republican dissent. Cassidy and Fitzpatrick's concerns deserve equal coverage.
Almost nobody is leading with the Ed Martin breakfast story — which is the most important new development. If a senior DOJ official was discussing this fund months before it existed, the IRS lawsuit settlement wasn't the origin. It was the vehicle.
What Happens Next
Someone inside the Trump DOJ was predicting large Jan. 6 payouts before the public knew a fund was being planned. The fund that materialized is 44 times larger than that prediction. It bypassed Congress entirely. And the acting AG is now managing Senate relationships to keep Republicans from moving against it.
If a Democratic administration bypassed Congress to funnel $1.776 billion to its political allies, the constitutional questions would be immediate and loud. The questions remain the same regardless of who's doing it.