AI-POWERED NEWS

30+ sources. Zero spin.

Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.

← Back to headlines

Ebola Now Third-Largest Outbreak in History: 600+ Cases, 139 Dead, and the Response System Is Broken

Ebola Now Third-Largest Outbreak in History: 600+ Cases, 139 Dead, and the Response System Is Broken
The Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak has exploded past 600 suspected cases and 139 deaths, making it the third-largest Ebola outbreak ever recorded. The virus was circulating for at least six weeks before anyone confirmed it publicly — and supply shortages on the ground are now hampering real-time response. The failures here are institutional, bipartisan, and dangerous.

The Numbers Got Worse. Fast.

As of May 19, according to WIRED, there were over 530 confirmed cases and 134 deaths. The Atlantic puts the broader suspected case count above 600, with 139 dead. Both numbers are rising quickly. The CDC estimates the Bundibugyo strain kills 25 to 50 percent of people who contract it. There is NO approved vaccine. There is NO approved treatment.

Six Weeks. Nobody Said Anything.

According to the CDC, Ebola had been actively circulating in the Democratic Republic of the Congo for at least six weeks before the DRC's health ministry publicly confirmed the outbreak on May 15. The WHO declared an international emergency two days later, on May 17. A WHO representative acknowledged to The Atlantic that officials still don't fully know when or exactly where it started.

For six weeks, a virus with up to a 50 percent fatality rate spread undetected.

It's Spreading Across Borders Now

According to WIRED, the outbreak originated in the DRC's Ituri region — a known refugee corridor bordering South Sudan and Uganda. Confirmed cases have already appeared in Kampala, Uganda's capital, carried there by travelers from Congo. Thousands of pilgrims were expected to cross from Congo into Uganda for an annual religious event. Uganda postponed the celebration due to Ebola fears, but WIRED reports it's unclear how fast that cancellation notice reached rural communities where the crossing was already underway.

The Atlantic also confirms the disease has spread to multiple urban centers in both the DRC and Uganda.

Supply Shortages Are Hitting Ground-Level Workers Right Now

Amadou Bocoum, country director for the nonprofit CARE in the DRC, told WIRED directly: "We are no longer able to get some supplies. Because of that, we are not able to react immediately." He specified that basic equipment — masks, hand sanitizers, and testing components — are in short supply.

A current CDC employee with outbreak experience told WIRED: "We are so far behind in this outbreak. This is a perfect storm."

Those are accounts from people working the outbreak directly.

The USAID Factor — What's True and What's Spin

Left-leaning outlets are hammering this as a straight Trump-caused disaster. That framing is partially fair and partially oversimplified.

What's true: According to WIRED, in February 2025 Elon Musk's DOGE operation dismantled USAID — and Musk himself told Trump administration officials that DOGE had "accidentally" cut Ebola prevention funding before restoring it. That's a fact. That's sloppy. A disease with a 50 percent kill rate is not the place for accidental cuts.

Also true: The Atlantic's authors, who served on the National Security Council under Biden, note that the Trump administration has cut early-warning systems, response teams, bilateral health partnerships, and the White House-level outbreak oversight infrastructure. The Biden administration handled 12 Ebola or Marburg outbreaks in Africa during its term. That institutional muscle matters.

What the left-leaning outlets are leaving out: The WHO's own detection failure here is massive. The WHO was alerted to suspicious deaths "early this month" according to The Atlantic — but the virus had been spreading for six weeks already. The WHO is an international body, not a Trump-controlled agency. Its failure to catch this earlier is a separate accountability problem that gets glossed over when outlets make this purely a DOGE story.

Both things are true: Trump's cuts weakened the response infrastructure AND the WHO missed a six-week window. Pinning it entirely on one or the other is politics, not journalism.

The Hantavirus Story

A second simultaneous outbreak is receiving little media attention.

According to The Atlantic, a hantavirus outbreak on a cruise ship has resulted in 11 confirmed cases as of May 18 — with a 38 percent fatality rate and no approved vaccine or treatment either. Nearly a month passed from the first illness in April to WHO confirmation. Two dozen passengers left the ship and traveled home before the outbreak was even acknowledged.

Two concurrent outbreaks. Both with high kill rates. Both detected late. Both with no approved treatments. That points to a systemic detection problem.

What This Means for You

Neither outbreak has arrived in force on U.S. soil yet. The odds remain low. But "low" and "zero" are not the same thing, and the margin for error is shrinking.

The system that caught these things early — before you ever heard about them — has been degraded. Some of that degradation is Trump's doing. Some of it predates Trump. None of it is acceptable.

A virus with a 50 percent fatality rate doesn't check your voter registration before it kills you.

Sources

center-left axios Ebola outbreak raises alarms about Trump's global health moves
center-left wired ‘Perfect Storm’: How Trump’s Aid Cuts Are Fueling the Ebola Outbreak | WIRED
left The Atlantic What the Trump Administration Needs to Do to Contain the Ebola Outbreak
unknown theatlantic What the Trump Administration Needs to Do to Contain the Ebola Outbreak - The Atlantic