AI-POWERED NEWS

30+ sources. Zero spin.

Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.

← Back to headlines

Ebola Is Now the Third Largest Outbreak in History: 750 Cases, an American Doctor in Berlin, and the U.S. Just Paused Visas from Affected Countries

Ebola Is Now the Third Largest Outbreak in History: 750 Cases, an American Doctor in Berlin, and the U.S. Just Paused Visas from Affected Countries
The DRC Ebola outbreak has exploded to nearly 750 cases and 177 deaths in less than two weeks — the WHO just upgraded its risk assessment to 'very high' at the national level. An American medical missionary, Dr. Peter Stafford, is hospitalized in Berlin; his family tested negative. The Trump administration responded by pausing visas from affected countries and rushing resources to the region — even as critics hammer USAID cuts that left the U.S. flatfooted when this started.

What Changed Since Our Last Report

This outbreak is moving fast. When we last covered it, the world was watching Saudi Arabia scramble to screen 1.5 million Hajj pilgrims. Now there's a lot more to track.

As of Friday, May 23, the Ebola case count in the Democratic Republic of Congo has surged to nearly 750 cases with 177 confirmed deaths and approximately 1,400 contacts now being traced, according to the WHO's press briefing reported by Ars Technica. That makes this the third largest Ebola outbreak ever recorded — and it only got its official designation on May 15.

WHO Upgrades Risk Level

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus didn't mince words Friday. He called the outbreak "deeply worrying" and said it is still "spreading rapidly," according to The Hill and Ars Technica.

The WHO has revised its risk assessment upward: "very high" at the national level, "high" at the regional level, and still "low" at the global level. That's a meaningful shift from earlier assessments. Just days ago it was rated "high" nationally. Now it's one step higher.

The earliest known case was a health worker who developed symptoms on April 24 in Bunia, the capital of Ituri province. WHO didn't get word of a potential outbreak until May 5 — nearly two weeks later. By the time a WHO team arrived on the ground, there were already 80 cases.

"Now we are sprinting behind the virus," said Dr. Anne Ancia, WHO representative speaking from the DRC, according to Ars Technica.

That one-month delay is damning. Someone should be answering for it.

An American Doctor Is in a Berlin Hospital

The outbreak crossed into the Western news cycle in a very personal way this week. Dr. Peter Stafford, a medical missionary identified by the Serge Christian mission organization, contracted Ebola while treating patients in the DRC, where he had been living with his family, according to the New York Post.

He is currently being treated at Charité University Hospital in Berlin, Germany — one of the world's top infectious disease containment facilities. As of Friday, the hospital confirmed he is NOT critically ill and remains under "close observation."

His wife and four children were evacuated with him. An initial PCR test detected no Ebola infection in the family members. They are quarantined in a separate part of the unit and can communicate with Dr. Stafford through a glass partition and intercom.

The White House explained the Berlin routing: Germany is 12 hours closer to the DRC than the United States, making it the logical first stop.

Two of his children were photographed looking through a glass window at their father in isolation. That image is doing a lot of work right now.

The U.S. Responds — Late, But It's Responding

The Trump administration announced a pause on visa issuance for people who have recently visited Ebola-affected countries, according to the Wall Street Journal. The administration is also rushing resources to the affected Central African nations.

The awkward part: those are the same countries where the Trump administration previously cut foreign aid through the gutting of USAID. Ars Technica and public health experts cited in its report point out this contradiction directly. The U.S. slashed the infrastructure meant to catch outbreaks early, and now it's scrambling to respond to an outbreak that went undetected for weeks.

The USAID cuts left serious gaps in on-the-ground disease surveillance. The timeline shows it. At the same time, you don't leave the front door open when a contagion is spreading. Both criticisms hold up.

The Strain Nobody Has a Vaccine For

The strain driving this outbreak is Bundibugyo virus — a rare Ebola species. There are no established vaccines or approved therapeutics for it, according to Ars Technica.

The vaccines that exist for Ebola — developed largely after the 2014-2016 West Africa outbreak — target the Zaire strain. They do NOT work here. That strips away one of the most powerful tools public health workers have used in recent years to contain Ebola outbreaks quickly.

The entire containment strategy falls back to the basics: active case finding, isolation, and contact tracing. In a region experiencing armed conflict, intense population movement, and where treatment centers have literally been burned to the ground by mobs denying the outbreak is real.

On May 21, the Rwampara General Hospital Ebola treatment center in Ituri province was set on fire, according to Reuters images cited in the New York Post report. Health workers are operating under threat.

Coverage Gaps

Right-leaning outlets have focused heavily on the Hajj angle and Iran security tensions — relevant, but it's overshadowing the core story, which is that this outbreak is now a major global public health event on its own terms.

Left-leaning coverage, including Ars Technica, correctly identifies the USAID and CDC cuts as a contributing factor to the slow response — but some reporting buries the fact that the WHO itself failed to detect and respond for nearly a month. That's a multilateral failure, not just an American one.

Almost nobody is giving enough weight to the Bundibugyo strain problem. No vaccine. That detail changes the entire calculus.

What Comes Next

The global risk is still rated low. But "low" and "zero" are not the same thing. An American is already in a Berlin isolation ward. The outbreak is growing faster than responders can track it. The one tool that stopped previous Ebola outbreaks cold — vaccination — doesn't exist for this strain.

Watch the case count. If it crosses 1,000 before containment measures take hold, the WHO's "low" global risk rating will need another revision.

Sources

center The Hill WHO: ‘Violence and insecurity’ hampering response to ‘worrisome’ Ebola outbreak
center-left Ars Technica Ebola outbreak now third largest recorded and "spreading rapidly"
center-right NY Post US doctor with Ebola in Berlin hospital not critically ill, family tests negative
center-right WSJ U.S. Pauses Visa Issuance for People Who Have Visited Ebola-Hit Countries
center-right WSJ Ebola Outbreak Is Now Third Largest in History. Here’s What to Know.
right Breitbart Saudi Arabia Prepares to Welcome 1.5 Million for Hajj amid Ebola, Iran Fears