30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
DRC Ebola Death Toll Surpasses 130, At Least One American Infected — Aid Funding Cuts Blamed for Delayed Detection

What Changed Since Our Last Report
When we last covered this story, the confirmed death toll stood at 134 with 530+ cases. New reporting from STAT News, Wired, NPR, and Common Dreams reveals a deteriorating situation.
At least 600 people are now sick. The confirmed dead exceed 130. At least one American has been infected. The U.S. government has closed its border to travelers from the affected region, though U.S. passport holders are exempt, according to STAT News.
Cases have spread beyond the outbreak's origin in DRC's Ituri Province. Two lab-confirmed cases and one death hit Kampala, Uganda's capital city — and those two victims had no apparent link to each other. Both had recently traveled from Congo. Confirmed cases have also appeared in Kinshasa, the DRC's capital, which has an international airport. So does Kampala.
Ebola is now confirmed in two major African capitals with direct international flight connections.
The Detection Failure
The WHO declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on May 16 — just one day after the world found out the outbreak existed at all. This rapid declaration is unusual.
Jeremy Konyndyk, who ran Ebola response at USAID under the Obama administration, told NPR: "This one has more momentum at point of detection than the huge West Africa outbreak in 2014 did." More than 11,000 people died in that outbreak.
Part of the detection delay stems from the virus strain. Bundibugyo Ebola is rare, and standard field tests frequently miss it, according to NPR. Samples had to be sent to larger labs — slow in a country as vast as DRC. That's a known limitation.
The early-warning infrastructure that was supposed to catch this early has been dismantled. For years, the U.S. poured hundreds of millions of dollars into DRC-specific programs to detect outbreaks, build supply chains, stockpile medical gear, and train health workers. According to STAT News, which reviewed government funding databases and spoke to six people with direct regional knowledge, the Trump administration slashed that funding in the months directly before this outbreak erupted.
Consequences of the Funding Cuts
The effects were concrete:
- Ebola response teams were frozen, according to a person who worked on the ground, per STAT News
- Basic medical equipment — masks, hand sanitizers, testing components — ran short, according to Amadou Bocoum, CARE's DRC country director, speaking to Wired
- The surveillance systems that would normally flag unusual illness clusters were degraded
"We are no longer able to get some supplies," Bocoum told Wired. "Because of that, we are not able to react immediately."
A current CDC employee with outbreak experience — speaking anonymously due to fear of retaliation, per Wired — said: "We are so far behind in this outbreak. This is a perfect storm."
In February 2025, Elon Musk's DOGE operation cut funding to Ebola prevention programs before partially restoring it, according to Wired.
What the White House Said
Heidi Overton, deputy director at the White House Domestic Policy Council, addressed the outbreak at a Monday news conference. Her statement: "We are doing everything we can to support Americans in the region," per STAT News.
That's the entire public-facing defense. No acknowledgment of the aid cuts. No timeline for restoring surveillance capacity. No specifics.
HHS and the State Department also issued statements highlighting current U.S. work in the country, per STAT News. Neither addressed the funding rollback directly.
The Broader Context
Left-leaning outlets — Wired, NPR, Common Dreams — are all over the USAID angle. That reporting is legitimate. The funding cuts are real, the consequences are documented, and they deserve scrutiny.
The DRC's own governance failures deserve equal attention. This is a country with chronic corruption, collapsed health infrastructure, and ongoing armed conflict in the exact provinces where Ebola is spreading. The U.S. was essentially propping up systems that the DRC government never built for itself. That problem predates Trump by decades.
Cutting aid abruptly during an active disease risk period was a serious mistake. But framing this as solely a Trump-caused disaster ignores 30 years of failed state-building in central Africa.
Right-leaning media is largely ignoring this story entirely. An American is infected. Ebola is in cities with international airports. This is a legitimate public health story regardless of which administration created the conditions for it.
What This Means for Regular People
The U.S. border is now closed to travelers from the affected region. If you have family or colleagues in DRC or Uganda, their ability to travel here is restricted.
The United States built a global disease early-warning system over decades specifically because outbreaks in remote African provinces don't stay there. The 2014 West Africa outbreak killed 11,000 people and cost the U.S. government an estimated $5.4 billion in emergency response, according to prior congressional testimony.
An ounce of prevention costs less than a pound of cure. If this outbreak follows the 2014 trajectory, the bill — in lives and dollars — will dwarf whatever was saved by cutting USAID.