30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
DOJ Sues Harvard for Antisemitism Under Title VI as Federal Funding Cuts Exceed $2.6 Billion

The Federal Government Is Done Warning Harvard
On March 20, 2026, the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division filed a lawsuit against Harvard University, alleging race and national origin discrimination against Jewish and Israeli students in violation of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Under the law, institutions that accept federal funding cannot discriminate. Harvard receives substantial federal funding.
According to the DOJ press release, Harvard has "tolerated antisemitic mobs of students, faculty, and visitors" who assaulted, harassed, and intimidated Jewish and Israeli students following Hamas's October 7, 2023 terrorist attacks. The lawsuit says Harvard was "deliberately indifferent" — legal language that matters in civil rights cases.
Attorney General Pamela Bondi stated directly: "Since October 7th, 2023, too many of our educational institutions have allowed anti-Semitism to flourish on campus — Harvard included."
The Money Is Already Gone
Before the lawsuit was filed, the financial impact had already been significant.
According to HHS.gov, a Joint Task Force to Combat Anti-Semitism announced the termination of approximately $450 million in grants from eight federal agencies — on top of $2.2 billion cut the week prior. That totals over $2.6 billion in federal funding pulled from Harvard.
The Task Force cited Harvard's own Presidential Task Force on Combating Antisemitism and Anti-Israeli Bias, which documented Jewish students being subjected to "pervasive insults, physical assault, and intimidation, with no meaningful response from Harvard's leadership."
Harvard's own internal report condemned the university's response. Harvard's leadership did nothing substantive afterward.
The Settlement Harvard Is Already Ignoring
According to The Harvard Crimson, Harvard signed a legal settlement in January 2025 with the Brandeis Center for Human Rights Under Law. One requirement: publish an annual public report on how the university handles antisemitism complaints under Title VI.
As of the Crimson's reporting, that report has not been released — more than a year after the settlement was signed.
Kenneth L. Marcus, founder and chairman of the Brandeis Center, confirmed to The Crimson that they are still "awaiting" the report. Harvard has technically complied with other parts of the settlement — adopting the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance's definition of antisemitism, appointing a Title VI oversight official, and starting mandatory staff training. But the public accountability report has not materialized.
Harvard settled a lawsuit, agreed to transparency, and then did not release the transparency report required under the settlement agreement.
What Two Bipartisan Lawmakers Are Saying
This criticism crosses party lines. Rep. Josh Gottheimer, a Democrat from New Jersey, appeared on Fox News's Faulkner Focus and called Harvard's record on antisemitism a deliberate failure. "Harvard has continued to fail miserably — it's almost like it's their strategy," Gottheimer said, according to Breitbart's coverage of the segment. He called for scrutiny of Harvard's foreign funding sources.
Gottheimer noted that antisemitic incidents are up 70% since October 7, and pointed to Florida universities, Vanderbilt, and Emory as schools that handled the post-October 7 environment responsibly. Harvard did not.
Rep. Byron Donalds, a Republican from Florida, went broader. According to Breitbart, Donalds argued that hostile foreign nations — naming Iran, China, Russia, and North Korea — are weaponizing American social media and free speech protections to destabilize the country politically and culturally. "You're not going to beat us economically, you're not going to beat us militarily. But if you destabilize us politically, culturally, that's how you can unwind the United States," Donalds said.
A Democrat and a Republican with similar concerns about Harvard's response reveals consensus across party lines.
What Mainstream Coverage Is Getting Wrong
Most coverage of the Harvard funding fight frames it as a free speech or academic freedom battle — Harvard positioned as defending institutional autonomy against government pressure. This framing omits several key facts.
First: Harvard's own internal task force documented the antisemitism problem. This is not a government invention.
Second: Harvard already signed a legal settlement promising accountability and has not delivered on it. This is a contractual obligation, not a free speech issue.
Third: The HHS Task Force highlighted that the Harvard Law Review awarded a $65,000 fellowship — described as serving "the public interest" — to a protester facing criminal charges for assaulting a Jewish student. A faculty committee approved it. This fact has received limited media attention.
Fourth: The bipartisan nature of the criticism deserves more attention. When Gottheimer — a Democrat, a Jewish American, and a critic of the Trump administration — describes Harvard's failure as "almost like a strategy," he is not repeating a partisan argument.
What This Means for Regular People
Taxpayers funded Harvard through over $2.6 billion in recent federal grants. That funding came with a legal obligation not to discriminate. Harvard accepted the money, allowed Jewish students to be harassed and assaulted, received its own report confirming the problem, signed a settlement agreeing to better practices, and then failed to release the transparency report the settlement required.
Now the DOJ is suing and the grants are terminated. Harvard had opportunities to address this privately and chose not to.
The university's appeal to academic freedom increasingly looks like a justification for inaction.