30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
DOJ Charges 15 People in $90 Million Minnesota Medicaid Fraud Case — Two Are ABA Clinic Operators Charged with $46.6 Million in Bogus Claims

The Charges Are Here — And They're Big
The Justice Department made it official on May 21, 2026. Fifteen people charged. Over $90 million in alleged Medicaid fraud attempted across Minnesota's social service programs, according to court documents obtained by The New York Times.
Two of those defendants are directly tied to autism therapy clinics. They're accused of submitting $46.6 million in fraudulent claims to Medicaid. That's nearly half the total fraud in a single case, in a single state, in one corner of the ABA therapy industry.
The Political Spectacle in Minneapolis
Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Secretary of Health and Human Services, and Dr. Mehmet Oz, head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, both flew to Minneapolis for the announcement. High-level attendance at fraud prosecutions is uncommon.
Colin McDonald, an assistant attorney general overseeing the administration's fraud crackdown, put it bluntly: "The fraud here in Minnesota is shocking."
President Trump put a spotlight on Minnesota fraud last year after conservative social media coverage went viral. Administration officials later cited fraud as partial justification for sending hundreds of federal agents to Minnesota for immigration enforcement. That operation ended badly — two American citizens were killed, and experienced fraud prosecutors at the U.S. attorney's office resigned, according to The New York Times. Those departures reportedly delayed fraud investigations that were already in progress.
The political pressure meant to accelerate accountability may have actually slowed it down.
What Mainstream Coverage Is Getting Wrong
Left-leaning outlets are covering this primarily as a Trump political theater story. That framing lets actual fraudsters off the hook. The fraud is real. Fifteen people were charged. $46.6 million in fake ABA claims doesn't become less real because RFK Jr. showed up for the photo op.
Right-leaning outlets are celebrating the bust without acknowledging the collateral damage — which is already happening to kids who genuinely need these services.
In Vermont, Real Kids Are Losing Services Right Now
This isn't abstract policy anymore. VTDigger reported on Jennifer Beane-Edgar's six-year-old son Sam, who has profound autism. He went from non-speaking and withdrawn to communicating with peers and using a Picture Exchange Communication System. Progress that took years of intensive ABA therapy.
In February 2026, Keene Perspectives — the ABA clinic Sam attends in Hartford, Vermont — told his mother it was discharging him six months early, before his planned transition to public school.
The reason? Vermont Medicaid changed how it pays for ABA services late in 2025. The shift caused what providers describe as a drastic drop in revenue. Nearly 20 ABA providers in Vermont are scrambling to adapt. Some say they may not survive the change at all.
Vermont Medicaid says the billing change is necessary to prevent fraud and protect the long-term viability of ABA coverage. That's a legitimate argument — the nationwide fraud problem is documented and severe. But the timing is brutal for families like Sam's.
The Core Tension
The ABA industry has a real fraud problem AND provides real benefits to real children. The $46.6 million Minnesota case isn't an outlier. The New York Times investigation found systematic overbilling — kids billed for 40 hours a week of therapy, napping through sessions that Medicaid paid for in full. The Cato Institute flagged the same pattern. State after state is finding the same rot.
Cracking down on that fraud is correct. It's taxpayer money being stolen.
But the enforcement mechanism — tightening Medicaid billing rules — hits legitimate providers with the same blunt instrument used against fraudulent ones. Small clinics serving high-need kids don't have teams of compliance lawyers. They get squeezed. They discharge patients. Kids like Sam go home six months early.
The Vance Angle
Vice President JD Vance is running a broader national Medicaid fraud initiative out of the White House, launched in March 2026. Last week, Vance announced plans to withhold $1.3 billion in federal payments to California over alleged Medicaid fraud failures, according to The New York Times.
This is shaping up to be a signature domestic policy push for the administration. The Minnesota charges are the first major criminal output of that pressure.
What This Means for Families
If your child receives ABA therapy through Medicaid, pay attention. The billing environment is changing fast. Clinics that can't adapt to new reimbursement rules are discharging patients. Some will close.
The fraud crackdown is justified. But the government has a track record of designing enforcement mechanisms that punish the innocent along with the guilty. Families need to ask their providers — right now — whether their clinic's financial position is stable.
The DOJ just charged 15 people. The kid who got discharged six months early didn't defraud anyone.