30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
Air France Flight Diverted to Montreal After Congolese Passenger Boards US-Bound Plane in Violation of Ebola Travel Ban

The Diversion: What Actually Happened
On May 20, Air France flight 378 departed Paris bound for Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. Somewhere in that boarding process, a passenger from the Democratic Republic of Congo got on the plane. That passenger should never have been allowed to board.
US Customs and Border Protection told both the BBC and the Detroit Free Press the same thing: "Air France boarded a passenger from the Democratic Republic of Congo in error on a flight to the United States."
CBP took "decisive action" — their words — and diverted the flight to Montreal. That's roughly 500 miles off course. According to FlightAware tracking data cited by the Detroit Free Press, the aircraft landed in Montreal at 5:15 p.m. and eventually made it to Detroit at 8:18 p.m.
Air France confirmed to US media that the diversion happened "at the request of US authorities" after the Congolese passenger was denied US entry.
The Timeline Problem
The travel restrictions took effect at 11:59 p.m. Eastern on May 20, according to the Detroit Free Press. The flight landed in Montreal at 5:15 p.m. — before the formal ban deadline.
Either the airline was already under informal CBP pressure before the official order kicked in, or CBP was enforcing restrictions that weren't technically in effect yet. Neither agency has clarified the timeline publicly.
Also unresolved: Was the passenger showing symptoms? When were they last in DRC? Officials told the BBC they wouldn't specify.
The Outbreak: Numbers Are Getting Worse
This isn't a contained situation. As of May 20, the CDC reported 536 suspected cases, 105 probable cases, 34 confirmed cases, and 134 suspected deaths across DRC and Uganda. In just the prior 24 to 48 hours, 26 new confirmed cases and 143 new suspected cases were identified — according to CDC's own situation page.
The WHO declared this a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on May 17. WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus put the death toll at approximately 139 as of May 20, with roughly 600 suspected cases.
This is Bundibugyo virus — a distinct Ebola species. According to WHO, there are NO approved vaccines and NO therapeutic treatments specifically for this strain. The outbreak had spread largely undetected for weeks before being identified, which makes contact tracing extremely difficult.
The outbreak has now been confirmed in 11 health zones across Ituri Province and Nord-Kivu Province in DRC, plus two confirmed cases in Kampala, Uganda, per CDC.
The American Doctor in Germany
On May 17, an American working in DRC tested positive for Ebola Bundibugyo disease. That person was airlifted to Germany for treatment, where the Detroit Free Press reported they were in stable condition as of May 20. The CDC confirmed the transfer, noting Germany was chosen partly for shorter flight time and prior experience treating Ebola patients.
High-risk contacts associated with that exposure are also being moved to Germany and Czechia, according to CDC. The agency states no additional cases in Americans have been reported.
The Missing Clinics Problem
The State Department previously announced it would fund up to 50 clinics in Uganda and DRC to help contain the outbreak. Uganda's government responded with a simple statement reported by the New York Times: "I don't know the ones they are talking about," said a top Ugandan official.
The US government announced a concrete commitment — 50 clinics — to a foreign government that says it has received zero notification of any such program. Either the State Department made a public announcement before coordinating with the actual recipient country, or the implementation is so broken that front-line officials in Uganda have been kept completely in the dark.
What Mainstream Coverage Is Getting Wrong
NPR ran a piece on May 21 focused almost entirely on Americans' COVID-related anxiety about Ebola, featuring content creators and social media reactions. Dr. Amesh Adalja of the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security and Dr. Ali S. Khan of the University of Nebraska Medical Center both told NPR the average American shouldn't panic.
The psychological reassurance story is crowding out the operational accountability story. A plane was diverted because an airline failed to screen a passenger properly under a four-day-old travel ban. The US government announced 50 clinics that don't appear to exist yet. These are concrete failures that deserve scrutiny.
What This Means for Regular People
If you're flying domestically or internationally, the direct risk to you right now remains low — CDC said so, and the experts NPR cited said so. There are ZERO confirmed US cases from this outbreak.
But the Air France diversion proved something real: the screening system for this travel ban depends heavily on airlines doing their jobs. Air France failed that test on day one. CBP caught it — but only because the flight was already airborne.
The Dulles routing requirement for Americans returning from DRC, Uganda, or South Sudan is still in effect. If you've been in those regions, you're going through enhanced screening at Dulles. No exceptions.
Containing this outbreak at the source is the only strategy that actually works long-term. The 50 promised clinics in Uganda and DRC remain unconfirmed, creating a credibility gap in the containment strategy.