30+ sources. Zero spin.
Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.
Air France Flight Diverted to Canada After Congolese Passenger Boards Despite US Ebola Travel Ban

Air France Flight Diverted to Canada After Congolese Passenger Boards Despite US Ebola Travel Ban
Air France Flight 378 left Paris bound for Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport on Wednesday, May 21. It never got there — not directly, anyway.
US Customs and Border Protection intercepted the flight mid-route after discovering a Congolese passenger had been allowed to board in Paris in error, according to a CBP statement reported by CityNews Halifax. That passenger should never have been on the plane.
According to CBP: "Due to entry restrictions put in place to reduce the risk of the Ebola virus, the passenger should not have boarded the plane. CBP took decisive action and prohibited the flight carrying that traveler from landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, and instead, diverted to Montreal, Canada."
The plane landed in Montreal at 5:15 p.m. The passenger was escorted off. The flight then continued to Detroit, landing around 8 p.m., according to FlightAware data cited by CityNews Halifax.
Air France confirmed the diversion, telling WXYZ that cabin crew immediately put on masks upon learning of the situation — standard protocol, per a source quoted by The Mirror. No medical emergency was declared.
The Travel Ban Is Brand New — And Already Being Tested
This incident happened just three days after the US government moved. On May 18, the CDC and Department of Homeland Security announced a 30-day travel prohibition on non-US passport holders from the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, and Uganda, plus enhanced screening for anyone who departed from or visited those countries in the past 21 days, according to CityNews Halifax.
Wednesday's diversion happened the day before an even stricter DHS measure was set to kick in. A memo viewed by CBS News — reported by the NY Post — required that all flights carrying passengers from Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan land specifically at Washington Dulles International Airport in Virginia. That rule goes live Thursday.
So the system caught this one barely in time. How many others slipped through before May 18 remains unclear.
WHO Admits the Timeline Is Worse Than Previously Disclosed
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus confirmed Wednesday that this outbreak started months before it was officially declared — not weeks. WHO technical officer Anais Legand told reporters, per Breitbart, "Given the scale, we are thinking that it started probably a couple of months ago."
There was a critical four-week gap between the first recorded symptomatic infection and laboratory confirmation. Four weeks of undetected, uncontained spread.
The first confirmed death was April 24 — a healthcare worker, which means they caught it from someone already infected, pushing the real start date back even further, according to Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba, as reported by Breitbart.
That April 24 death was followed by a funeral in the mining town of Mongbwalu where mourners were physically touching the body. Kamba said that funeral likely became a super-spreader event. WHO wasn't notified of "an unknown illness with high mortality" in the area until May 5 — nearly two weeks later.
The Real Numbers Are Probably Much Higher
Official counts as of Wednesday: 51 confirmed cases in Congo's Ituri and North Kivu provinces, two confirmed cases in Uganda, 139 suspected deaths, and roughly 600 suspected cases, according to WHO Director-General Tedros, cited by CityNews Halifax.
The London-based MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis estimates the actual case count could already exceed 1,000, according to CityNews Halifax. That's almost double the suspected figure and roughly 20 times the confirmed count.
WHO's own Tedros acknowledged the numbers "will keep increasing" given how long the virus circulated before detection.
Conflict Is Making Containment Nearly Impossible
Tedros flagged a major obstacle receiving limited coverage: Ituri province is an active war zone.
"Conflict has intensified since late 2025, and fighting has escalated significantly over the past two months, with over 100,000 people newly displaced," he said, per Breitbart. The area is also a major mining region with constant population movement across porous borders.
Health Minister Kamba also cited community leaders dismissing Ebola symptoms as witchcraft, with residents seeking treatment from witch doctors and faith healers instead of hospitals. This has emerged as a direct containment problem.
What the Details Reveal
Most outlets have led with the flight diversion. The broader picture is that WHO now admits the outbreak is months old, cases are almost certainly undercounted by a factor of two or more, a war is actively scattering infected populations, and the US travel restrictions were implemented with gaps significant enough that a restricted passenger boarded a transatlantic flight three days after the ban was announced.
The US government moved faster than WHO did on restrictions. But "CBP caught one passenger" is not the same as "the screening system is airtight."
International Travel Implications
Global spread risk is still assessed as LOW by WHO — but WHO also admitted to a four-week detection gap inside an active outbreak. Their early assessments warrant scrutiny.
For now: if you're flying internationally, especially through hubs with heavy African traffic, US authorities are running enhanced screening. The Dulles funnel rule starts Thursday. CDC travel advisories are being updated in real time on this situation.
This story is moving fast. The numbers from two days ago are already stale.