AI-POWERED NEWS

30+ sources. Zero spin.

Cross-referenced, unbiased news. Both sides of every story.

← Back to headlines

$1.8B Anti-Weaponization Fund Hit With Lawsuit, GOP Revolt, and a Provision That Benefits Trump Personally

$1.8B Anti-Weaponization Fund Hit With Lawsuit, GOP Revolt, and a Provision That Benefits Trump Personally
The fund isn't just facing Democratic opposition anymore — Capitol Police officers sued to block it, at least one House Republican said 'we're gonna kill it,' and a newly revealed provision could end IRS audits of Trump and his family. This thing is unraveling fast from every direction.

The Walls Are Closing In — From Both Sides

When we reported on the creation of the $1.776 billion 'Anti-Weaponization Fund,' the opposition was predictable: Democrats objected, legal observers raised eyebrows. That was the easy part.

Now it's getting complicated. And a lot messier.

A House Republican — not a Democrat — said the fund is dead on arrival. Capitol Police officers who got beaten on January 6th filed a federal lawsuit to block it. A Trump ally filed the first known claim. Democrats introduced legislation to defund it. And the deal quietly includes a provision that could end IRS audits of Donald Trump and his family.

Bipartisan scrutiny is more than a talking point. It's actually happening.

The Jan. 6 Officers Lawsuit

Two Capitol Police officers who physically defended the building during the January 6, 2021 riot filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday to block the fund, according to The Hill.

Their complaint calls it 'the most brazen act of presidential corruption this century' and describes the fund as a 'taxpayer-funded slush fund to finance the insurrectionists and paramilitary groups that commit violence in his name.'

That's aggressive language. But the underlying legal argument is serious: these officers are asking a court to rule that the fund is illegal — not just bad policy.

Trump has previously called January 6th 'a day of love.' The people who got beaten that day are now suing his administration.

A Republican Says It's Dead

At least one House Republican went on record to say the fund won't survive Congress. According to The Hill, the member stated flatly: 'We're gonna kill it.'

The fund exists because of a legal settlement — but Congress controls appropriations. If House Republicans move to block funding, the $1.776 billion doesn't go anywhere.

This is NOT a unified GOP cheering Trump's move. Some members see it for what it is: a legally dubious slush fund with no clear oversight and enormous political liability.

The IRS Audit Provision

According to the Washington Post, the settlement deal includes a provision that could end IRS audits of Trump and his family. A sitting president used a legal settlement with his own government to potentially shield himself from tax scrutiny.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche testified before a Senate Appropriations subcommittee Tuesday defending the fund. He compared it to an Obama-era settlement and called it 'unusual but not unprecedented,' according to PBS NewsHour.

Legal experts rejected that framing.

'I don't even think we have a word for how unprecedented this is,' said Adam Zimmerman, a professor at USC Gould School of Law, to PBS NewsHour. 'This is in a totally different solar system than any past government settlement on record.'

Blanche faced pushback — bipartisan pushback — from senators.

The First Claimant Is a Trump Insider

Michael Caputo, a longtime Trump ally who served in his first administration, filed the first known claim against the fund, according to The Hill.

Caputo has alleged for years that he was targeted by the government. Maybe he was. But the optics here are difficult: the very first person to use a fund created by Trump's own settlement is a Trump loyalist.

If this fund were genuinely designed to help ordinary Americans wronged by federal overreach — a real problem worth solving — the first claimant probably shouldn't be someone who ran communications for the Trump campaign.

Democrats Make Their Move

Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), ranking member on the House Oversight Committee, introduced legislation Wednesday to bar the DOJ from using the fund for payouts, according to The Hill.

Separately, the DOJ subpoena of Blanche faced Republican opposition — House Republicans voted it down. Democrats are pursuing a legislative path instead.

Raskin's bill won't pass a Republican House. But it sets a marker for future litigation and political argument.

What's Actually at Stake

Left-leaning outlets are framing this almost entirely as 'Trump rewards Jan. 6 rioters.' That's the most explosive angle, but it's incomplete.

The fund is legally structured through a settlement over IRS tax return leaks — leaks that actually happened, on the government's watch, during Trump's own first term. That underlying grievance isn't manufactured. The IRS did leak his returns. That's a real civil liberties issue.

Right-leaning outlets, meanwhile, are largely ignoring the IRS audit provision and the Republican defections. Those are the stories that will determine whether this fund survives.

The real story isn't left vs. right. It's whether a president can use his own lawsuit against his own government to create an $1.8 billion fund he controls, with minimal oversight, that could benefit his allies and himself.

On those facts, reasonable people — including members of his own party — are saying no.

What Happens Next

This fund faces a federal lawsuit from Capitol officers, opposition from at least one GOP House member, a Democrat-led legislative block, and a buried provision that could personally benefit the president's finances.

Acting AG Blanche is defending it before skeptical senators from both parties.

The fund isn't law yet. It isn't funded yet. And right now, it's fighting for its life — not because of partisan opposition, but because it has serious structural problems that don't respect party lines.

Taxpayer money. No clear oversight. First claimant is a presidential ally. IRS audit relief buried in the fine print.

These are the details Congress will have to reckon with.

Sources

center The Hill John Adams quote projected on DOJ building to protest ‘anti-weaponization’ fund
center The Hill Trump $1.8B ‘anti-weaponization’ fund faces legal challenge, GOP criticism
center The Hill House Republican: ‘We’re gonna kill’ Trump’s nearly $1.8B ‘anti-weaponization’ fund
center The Hill Raskin introduces bill to block Trump’s $1.776B after GOP shoots down effort to subpoena Blanche
center The Hill Longtime Trump ally Michael Caputo files first known ‘anti-weaponization’ fund claim
center The Hill Jan. 6 officers sue Trump over ‘anti-weaponization’ fund
center-left Axios Democrats move to shut down Trump's $1.8 billion "anti-weaponization" fund
center-left Axios How Trump's $1.8B "anti-weaponization" fund works
center-left Axios Jan. 6 officers sue over Trump's $1.8B fund they call a "corrupt sham"
left washingtonpost Trump legal deal draws bipartisan scrutiny as it expands to end IRS audits - The Washington Post
unknown pbs Why legal experts say Trump's new 'anti-weaponization' fund is unprecedented | PBS News